Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest Win2000 Drivers (v5.20)

Hi everybody,

is it me or has Matrox changed the driver installation radically ?

Whenever I installed the latest Win2000 Drivers for my G400 I always get a 640x480 Desktop with 16 Colors. This problem exists with the 5.14 and the new 5.20 Win2000 drivers and I don't know how to handle it.

First I thought it was because I didn't configured my monitor correctly with the new drivers but every Monitor option in the G400 Control Panel is grey and I see no way to configure everything correctly ...

The same problem exists under Win98 with the new 6.10 drivers ... anybody got an idea ?

I normally don't have any problems with new drivers. But since v5.14 of the 2000 drivers I simply cannot install them .. always this misconfigured desktop

Thomas

There have been quite a few people that have had this problem at times. Myself included. There are any number of things that could be wrong, but the problem that you are describing is usually the result of a hardware conflict.

So, having said that can you post your system specs? IRQ List? If you have a VIA based motherboard what version of the VIA drivers are you running?

That information will help immensly.

Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Ok, my current IRQ configuration lists as follows:

5 - Sigma Designs Hollywood +
      9 - Matrox G400
      10 - Creative Audio PCI64
      11 - Realtek Fast Ethernet Adapter

Everything else should be irrelevant ... that given, IRQ Number 7 should be free. Maybe I'll try again an have a look at the changing IRQ's.

Although before drivers v5.14 everything worked fine. Why do the new drivers handle the IRQ configuration different ?

Thomas

Comment

I have the same problem almost every time I restart windows (that's why I only hibernate). It switches to VGA mode, although in Device Manager it shows G400, and when I go to Display Settings I get BSOD...
        SOmetimes reboot helps, sometimes I have to reinstall drivers (didn't have time to track down solution).
        I haven't tries 5.20 yet though.

------------------
        • vanilla G400 DH 32 Mb PD5.14 w/o o/c
        • Asus K7V w/sound bios 1007
        • W2K Workstation, SP1
        • RedHat 6.2
        • Athlon 700 w/o o/c
        • 256 Mb PC133 RAM
        • IBM DPTA-372050 20Gb 7200Rpm
        • TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1302
        • Viewsonic PF790 flatscreen 19' & IBM G54 15'
        • HP ScanJet 5200C still on parallel
        • 3Com 3C905B-TX & Cisco 2610 & T1 ;-)
        • WebCam 3 USB
        • Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB connected
        • Sony MDR-CD360 headphones
        • MX300 in the drawer

[This message has been edited by Arsa (edited 09 November 2000).]
        Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSchl:
          5 - Sigma Designs Hollywood +
          There's your problem: you've once installed the sigma designs w2k beta drivers. Even if you upgraded them to the final ones, they dont uninstall completely but leave a faulty service in your system.
          I dont remember the name of this service. For details about this visit the sigmadesigns newsgroup (news.sigmadesigns.com, I think).
          You'll just have to uninstall this service and your new G400 drivers will work.
          I had the same problem...

Bye,
          Olaf

Comment

The name of the service/driver is "vpfilter". In w2k open the device manager open the "view" menu and check "Show hidden devices". Under "Non-plug and play drivers" you will see a device called "Vpfilter". Right click on this device and uninstall it. On my PC, this brought back the monitor controls. I have not seen any malfunctions in the H+ after doing this. I even went so far as to rename (and later delete) "vpfilter.sys" which is located in the \winnt\system32\drivers\ directory (as far as i recall). I then reinstalled the latest H+ non-beta drivers and "vpfilter.sys" did not return.

Hope this works for you.

Bent

Comment

Thanks for alle your advice but nothing worked. The trick with the deletion of the vpfilter didn't have any effect and I don't have access to the sigmadesign Newsgroup

Damn
              Thomas

Comment

Working...
              X