Am doing something wrong or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am doing something wrong or what?

Ok, CS ran pretty good on my system (Win98/Asus CUBX/Celeron 533A@800/G400MAX) with the 5.52 drivers and TGL 1.30. Didn't have any problems with graphical glitches, and ran more or less smoothly.

But, I decided to download the new drivers released today to see if they're any better. I uninstalled the old ones properly and completly and then installed the new ones.

Now in CS I get this awful texture "shimmer" when I get close to walls and the like. It's like the texture gets divided accross the screen at an angle, and each half is offset a little different. Plus it runs quite a bit slower.

This has happened with all the 6.xx drivers I've ever tried... the only decent driver combo I've found is 5.52 and TGL 1.3. Is this "right"?

I guess I'm just getting kinda tired of having to jump though hoops to get stuff to run halfway decent on this card. It seems like Matrox doesn't even care if their drivers/cards don't work right with some of the more popular software that's comming out now.

I know they've got a large business outside of the consumer video cards, but just acting like there isn't a problem, or that the problem isn't on their end seems to be rather irresponsible. I mean if there are popular games that run fine on all the other current cards, but not the Matrox card, who's really at fault?

I know the G400's getting long in the tooth, but with Matrox's annoying "If we tell you, we'd have to kill you" policy about any new cards and/or drivers in development it makes it rather hard to just sit around and hope they come up with something better/newer/more compatible. It's not like they're designing nuclear weapons or some top-secret device for the government(or maybe they are... it would explain the hush-hush policies ), it's just a video card.

And the longer they wait the more restless the "natives" are going to get as newer software and hardware are released. And since they don't seem to care much if they attract new users it doesn't seem too smart to run off the otherwise loyal user base they've already got.

I'm probably going to see if I can get me a GeFarce2 MX card on friday and see how it looks/performs on my system, mainly just so I can run more games without having to mix and match drivers and the like, not really as much for the improved framerate (although any improvment in the frame rate during heavy CS firefights would be welcome).

Bleh, I guess I just needed to blow off some steam... sorry about the rant.

[This message has been edited by Jon P. Inghram (edited 07 November 2000).]

When I read that other people had success installing the TGL into the new PDesk I gave it a twirl. It did work and CS is back to the 5.52+TGL performace levels, and with none of the 6.xx ICD texture problems.

Comment

You´ll see more performance, no doubt... I saw a MX at work in a PIII 450 and it was quite fast... I´ll stick with my G400, as I haven´t had a single problem with it. The speed is just enough for me, and I´d hate to lose the image quality.

Comment

Working...
      X