big unsolved performance issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big unsolved performance issue

Hi some of you may remember a thread I started long ago about how the recent Win2k drivers halved my FPS in Half-Life. Well I still haven't solved this issue and it's time to get some answers or get a new card, I now have to make choices, e.g. either my PC can play CS or I can have TV-out, not both, which is not OK in a £200, over a year old, vid card.

I posted the following to the Matrox board but have absolutely no faith in their ability to help, I'm expecting something like "tech support does not benchmark" or "Win2k is not a gaming OS" or some other l*me sh*t that misses the point. Sorry if I sound angry but frankly I am, though not with anyone here of course

Here's what I said:

I'm getting desperate to upgrade beyond 5.04 here - the only game I care about is Counter-Strike, which runs at 1/2 the FPS with 5.1x compared to 5.0x. I need the upgrade for all the bug fixes (non game related) since 5.0x.

P3-800
    256MB
    Abit Be6-2
    G400Max

Windows2000 SP1
    Half-Life v1.0.1.4
    Counter-Strike b7.1

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Anything else you need to know please ask, thankyou.

OMG that bug where the screen is half covered by the menu in HL is back with 5.14, and just to top things off if I press escape and resume (the only way to clear it, used to work) HL freezes and has to be forced closed.

This is not good enough.

Call me a whiner, flame me, whatever, but those who know me a bit from when I used to post here alot will know I'm not a whiner, I'm actually am incredibly patient person and loyal Matrox customer but it feels like I'm just banging my head against a wall with this and everyone is in denial that there's a big Matrox driver f**k up. I don't want to buy a new card, I know this one is could be good enough, aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh is my frustration coming through arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

Hey-

I seem to be having the same problems as you.

Also, frame rates in HL are very very poor. Any idea on how to cure this?

let me know if you find a solution.

-Drew

Comment

YEEES, I AM NOT ALONE!! You don't know how good it feels to hear that, omg!

Please go install 5.04 and tell me that your FPS doubles!

------------------

Comment

You guys have to have some kind of hardware prob, or are on crack, because I have no performance issues at all with my G400/G450 using those drivers.

Rags

Comment

Ok well do you want to suggest what that prob might be? Saying we are incompetent may be true but does not help. The fact that you don't have a problem does not mean there isn't one. Whatever the problem is, it isn't obvious - I've tried many, many, things.

Comment

I have gone over your previous posts, and the only performance problem you tell me you are having is a low timedemo that you made. This is a timedemo that was broken for me, and I seriously question as to whether or not it's a good measure of performance. I play by feel. I can tell when there is a performance drop, and the performance has steadily increased for me with driver builds in HL/TFC.

Rags

Comment

Oh for god's sake! It's jerky as hell with 5.14 and smooth with 5.04, what more can I say?? This is the "denial" I am talking about. You think I give a flying f**k about a timedemo result? I just want to play the damn game and use TV-out and all the other things I paid good money for. This is a huge and obvious problem and I don't know if it's me or Matrox. I just don't know. I'm stuck. Help me! Please, thank you!

Comment

Well, since I am in denial, I can be of little help to you.

Comment

The reason I'm getting so angry is that this isn't going to get fixed until Matrox admits there is a problem. The first step to fixing something is to accept that you have a problem, right? I've tried phoning them and writing on their official forum, discussed it here at length, I just don't know what else to do. I just want Matrox or someone to admit the product is flawed OR to tell me what I'm doing wrong...

Comment

lol, how did I know you would say that? I've lost nothing, you couldn't/wouldn't help anyway.

I'm not here to fall out with people, to maintain the status quo, to say Matrox is good or bad, I'm here only to find the truth, the answers. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Comment

And while I am in "Denial Mode", I will enjoy my smooth framerates while playing TFC everynight. So I don't feel so bad about what you think of me. You call us liars, then wonder why we get angry...

Comment

Well you seem to be the minority who is having "Jerky" performance in win2k. You are right. I cannot help you, I am either too stupid, or I don't have the proper license to do so

Rags

Comment

Ah, so witty.

It's pathetic, taking the easy (cheap gag) way out, avoiding the issue. If you're going to distort things and not say anything constructive why not go play your "Smooth" TFC instead? See how stupid that looks now?

If you want to get nasty, I can oblige, but I'd rather keep things civil and not waste everyone's time.

Comment

You really think I'm f***ing around trying to solve a non-existent problem? What planet are you from? I guess it's hard to be objective with 2000 posts?

Comment

Working...
                              X