Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Life v1.1.0.1 & Matrox G400 exits, corrupts video, & Win98 crashes hard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life v1.1.0.1 & Matrox G400 exits, corrupts video, & Win98 crashes hard!

Is it me or does Half-Life like to crash to desktop once in a while when I hit esc during a game to menu?

I find myself at my desktop at 640x480 at 16-bit! I change my desktop settings back to 1280x1024 32-bit colors. I return to the game, load my saved game then a hard crash. I see corruption on my screen (I think in 640x480) with green colors and weirdness. I have to reset the computer to reboot . I notice one of my HDD partitions get lost clusters on the partition where HL is.

It seems like when HL quits to desktop, I will need to reboot my computer before returning back to the game.

I am using a Matrox G400 non-MAX (32 MB with dualhead), the lastest non-beta driver, no TurboGL installed, 32-bit desktop 1280x1024, 1024x768 for Half-Life, etc. Here's my computer setup: http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/antfarm/about/computers.txt (desktop).

Anyone else have this problem? I look forward to receiving replies soon.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 13 October 2000).]
    Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

We have real memory!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Nope, I don't have that problem ever. Sounds like you have some RAM that is flaking out.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 13 October 2000).]

Comment

Are you guys sure? None of my other games (i.e. Q3A, UT, D2, Metal Gear Solid, and Virtual Game Station) and applications have this problem or any odd symptoms. I haven't had any serious crashes either.

Here's the catch. It is only when I go to menu in HL from a game. If I never hit ESC during the game, no crashes or kick me to desktop.

Didn't Valve Software mess up with the video driver in v1.1.x.x version? I have had this problem since v1.1.0.0 release if I remember correctly.

Comment

cking: My BIOS is v1006 (non beta). Also, I forgot to note that if I alt-tab from a HL menu screen (doesn't matter if it is regular HL, Opposing Force, or mods), and try to come back to the game. Then, the game will lock up my Windows. Bah!

I did use G400 v6.x beta drivers. I had problems in HL with flickering textures so I downgraded back to the non-beta version. Yes, I did the uninstall and install the drivers fresh.

I forgot to note that I had this problem on my old DFI motherboard too before the upgrades with the old 128 MB RAM.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 13 October 2000).]

Comment

My system never crashes but I still see corruption on my screen if I press ESC and go back into any game. I'm sure it is the drivers since the problem followed me when I upgraded my computer from a K6-2 to an Athlon. And before anyone starts getting on me, I also swapped out the memory, HDD, and Case. So this means it is none of those and I know my SBLive or my 3com nic isn't causing the problem.

btw-The corruption gets worse as I go into each game. I can still play though. It's just that some things(ie; walls) are either pitch black or they are an almost neon white or certain things are highlighted such as the radio in Italy or the wine bottles in Ialy or the lights in Dust, etc...

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia:
              My system never crashes but I still see corruption on my screen if I press ESC and go back into any game. I'm sure it is the drivers since the problem followed me when I upgraded my computer from a K6-2 to an Athlon. And before anyone starts getting on me, I also swapped out the memory, HDD, and Case. So this means it is none of those and I know my SBLive or my 3com nic isn't causing the problem.

btw-The corruption gets worse as I go into each game. I can still play though. It's just that some things(ie; walls) are either pitch black or they are an almost neon white or certain things are highlighted such as the radio in Italy or the wine bottles in Ialy or the lights in Dust, etc...
              Yeah, I had those before. I think it was when I hit esc to menu and back to game. A minor problem. Using v6.x beta drivers made it that effects worse. Did you have that problem before v1.1.0.x patch(es)? I never had problem with early versions.

Comment

I just installed HL and OpFor the other day. I'm going to the menu and Alt-Tab'ing a lot, but I don't see any of the problems you folks are having.

------------------
                MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-test8), and Win98 (when I have to).
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat:
                  I just installed HL and OpFor the other day. I'm going to the menu and Alt-Tab'ing a lot, but I don't see any of the problems you folks are having.
                  Which Matrox G400 driver and what version of HL?

Comment

I don't buy the RAM discussion above.

My money is on the interaction between the AGP driver and your video drivers. I had the exact same problem. I'm running PD 5.41. I haven't tried anything 6 or above yet, but no other drivers would work for me w/o the corruption.

Try dropping down to 5.41 (no turboGL) and see if that helps. I'm not sure if the ASUS is a VIA chipset or not (too lazy to look) but you may want to double check the AGP driver you're using as well.

Good luck!

System specs below...

Andy

------------------
                    PIII 550@605
                    IWill Motherboard VD133
                    VIA Chipset
                    256MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                    G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
                    DirectX 7.0
                    SB Live! Value
                    8x DVD (Toshiba)
                    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                    3Com CMX Cable Modem
                    Optiquest V95 19"
                    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                    Microtek flatbed scanner
                    Intellimouse Explorer
                    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

[This message has been edited by ahartman (edited 13 October 2000).]
                    PIII 550@605
                    IWill Motherboard VD133
                    VIA Chipset
                    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                    DirectX 8.0a
                    SB Live! Value
                    8x DVD (Toshiba)
                    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                    3Com CMX Cable Modem
                    Optiquest V95 19"
                    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                    Microtek flatbed scanner
                    Intellimouse Explorer
                    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahartman:
                      I don't buy the RAM discussion above.

My money is on the interaction between the AGP driver and your video drivers. I had the exact same problem. I'm running PD 5.41. I haven't tried anything 6 or above yet, but no other drivers would work for me w/o the corruption.

Try dropping down to 5.41 (no turboGL) and see if that helps. I'm not sure if the ASUS is a VIA chipset or not (too lazy to look) but you may want to double check the AGP driver you're using as well.
                      I don't buy RAM discussion either because 1) I would have problems in other places. 2) I ran memory and stress testers and my system survived.

ASUS P3B-F doesn't use VIA chipset. Where can I find the old driver wnad where do I find out AGP driver info? What am I looking for? Where do I get the update? I thought AGP driver was part of the G400 driver.

Comment

I'm enjoying the same occasional problem: come the "Loading" screen, the colours get all psychedelic, screen size shrinks to a quarter, and two such screens are displayed neatly side-by-side in the upper half of the screen.

Escaping to menu and toying with any Video setting cures it.

HL 1.1.0.1, Matrox 6.0 beta.

The relevant parts:
                        Abit KA7
                        TB 700@910, no GFD
                        Kingmax PC133 (1 x 128MB)
                        G400 32 SH, core 120@150 mem 150@200

------------------
                        Tuomas
                        But this goes up to eleven.

[This message has been edited by Tuomas (edited 13 October 2000).]
                        Tuomas
                        But this goes up to eleven.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomas:
                          I'm enjoying the same occasional problem: come the "Loading" screen, the colours get all psychedelic, screen size shrinks to a quarter, and two such screens are displayed neatly side-by-side in the upper half of the screen.
                          Yeah, I had that problem with 6.0 beta drivers. That is why I downgraded. I wonder when this will be fixed? This bug is so old!

Comment

Half-Life 1.1.0.1 and the Beta Matrox drivers.

It runs perfectly (just beat OpFor). I don't know what your problems might be.

However, I did just do a complete install of HL. I installed it from CD, and downloaded 40MB of patches, and then played.

------------------
                            MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-test8), and Win98 (when I have to).
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Let me state: I know nothing.

I had weird problems with a BX board. When I
                              replaced it, the problems went away. You might have a bad MotherBoard. (BTW, HL is wierd; with the latest drivers, I still get problems with Stiletto, aka PowerPro.)

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X