Need for Speed HS + G400 32M DH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for Speed HS + G400 32M DH

So far, have been extremely unimpressed by this game compared to NFS IISE. Did a search, and found some interesting info, so I am not giving up yet. In particular, something Jorden posted:

"What you might try is the following:
    Uninstall NFS:HS completely (it will leave your saved data if all's well)
    Install PD5.13
    Install DX6.1
    Install NFS:HS
    check in the d3dsetup if it's chosen the right videocard (being the G400)
    If it didn't, check in the registry that on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ELECTRONIC ARTS\3D DATA\CARD6 it shows Group "D3D" and Name "Matrox G400"
    If anything else shows there, change it to Matrox G400.
    Run NFS:HS... still problems?
    Re-install DX6.1 (better even, install DX5.0 first, then DX6.0 then DX6.1... I know that that's a hassle...)"

Now, I did indeed have to reinstall the game (have DX7.0 or 7.1 now though, of course), and it seems to run fine, no problems except it is slow if I go higher than 800 x 600, depending on detail settings, etc. (but thus far I cannot tell an improvement when going higher than that anyhow).

I went into the registry location described above by Jorden, and sure enough, G400 is not there (in the choices for running, I get Software Renderer and Device1). I'll try Device1 and see what happens, but I'm thinking I may need to do other things as well. In addition, Electronic Arts' Autopatch feature doesn't seem to work at all. It tells me it's going to download a couple files, ok no sweat, then closes itself without doing squat. Anyhow!

Thanks in advance...I know I'm always a year or so behind the current games.

Aaron

Jorden.

I remember it run for me with the 5.52 drivers and NFS:PU installed beforehand(yes weird I know).

Few hints: after installing, run 3dsetup and choose direct 3d device 1 instead of software renderer, in the registry, edit triplebuffer to 1 (see FAQ f.), in the game, set every detail to max, turn of fog and set resolution to 800x600x32... it runs smooth on a Cel450 + G400nonMAX in this config.
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

NFS:PU runs smoother tho, 1280x1024 without problems for me. But one cannot find a Lincoln Town Car '97 for it.

Comment

i just picked this game up this morning at a car boot for £3, am running win2k & i get a this isn't a valid win32 app when i try to run the game.

Comment

NFSHS has run fine for me since my K6-2 300 days with a G200. Suffice it to say I have had it running under win98 win98se winnt5 beta2 win2k RC2 win2k Pro, win2k server on a K6-2 300/G200 pd 4.xx, K6-III 450/G200 pd 5.25/G400SH 16 pd 5.41, K6-2 500/G400SH 16 pd 6.01beta and Duron 700@700/800/850/900 G400SH 16 pd6.04/G400DH 32 pd 6.04.
          K6-2 were all on a FIC VA503+
          Duron on an Abit KT7. Do what impact says, use Direct3D Device 1
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Played the game for a few hours last night, using the D3D Device1, NOW I can say I am impressed. Finally it looks beautiful! I'm running in 1024 x 768 x 32, all details set to high, plays smooth as silk. The cars seem much easier to drive now, and I love the great sound in the hot pursuit mode, definitely some cool use of stereo.

I just wish the tracks were as good as the first two NFS. They look prettier, but not very long and not enough straightaways... And what's with all the tunnels, seems like they are on every single track. Not that I don't like tunnels, but on every track?
            As as final gripe, it takes MUCH longer to load the game initially, and about a similar increase in time to load each track..

Tyan S2380 v 1.02 VIA 4-in-1 4.24
            Athlon 650
            PC133 128M
            Matrox G400 32M DH, PD 6.01 Beta
            IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30G
            Kenwood 42X
            Yamaha DS-XG PCI
            Zoom 56k PCI

Cheers!

Aaron

Comment

okay, i've patched the game to 4.44 & the game now runs, but only in software mode?, how do i get the game to use d3d device 1?

Comment

got it working, & what can i say?, it's a bit pants, where's the traffic?. my brother & i enjoyed the 1st more than any of the others by a long shot.

Comment

What we need is a NFS:PU car editor. Then everything will be perfect.

Comment

wouldn't mind importing the nfs4 tracks into porsche 2000, as the ones in 2000 are getting rather boring, more cars as well.

[This message has been edited by tuco (edited 18 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                    X