can you turn off the background music on UT? and lan play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you turn off the background music on UT? and lan play

not just make the sound low on preferences but completely turn it off?(might get some fps increase too )

or if not anyway i can change it?

* you guys know of any good site that basically gives a step by step instructions on connecting computers for lan play? i have done it before..(there was a site that had a really good step by step info) and followed it but that was 3 years ago and i forgot.

i used to do it by assigning IP and subnet mask..but i would like to make it so the other computers automatically gets an IP address is that possible?

btw..there will be no dedicated server so the server pc also plays

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 13 October 2000).]

Actually, to turn off the background music, just drag the volume slider for the music all the way to the left, to the zero position. Ta-da! Done.

As far as the gaming network connections, I'll leave that to others who can explain it more clearly than I ever could.

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

but wont that just lower the sound..it wont actually turn it off right? is it really turned off? or still running just not being heard? cause i think i might get some more fps if i actually turn it off..not just turn the volume down

Comment

For each machine to get IP automatically, you need a DHCP server. I think it would be easier to just assign private static IPs (i.e. 192.168.1.1). The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. I'm not exactly sure what the subnet mask does. I believe it has something to do with subnetworks, and network management. BTW, dedicated server will be less laggy, unless the server machine is very powerful. But I think that a non-dedicated server is ok for maybe a few machines.

Comment

oh so to use dhcp i need a different machine for it ok

btw.. any tried usb connection? cause i think its simpler..not having to install those extra nics

its only gonna be 4 pcs the server will prolly be a 550 celeron 128mb or a 533p3 128mb... does video card power effect serving?

Comment

Hey Blades

To turn off music hit your tilde key type in Preferences hit enter UT will minimize and advanced options window comes up look for audio open it then change digital music to false close window UT will Maximize again when you start a new game music will be gone.

I do not know anything about the usb network and how it will work or perform, The speed of you video card will not likely have an affect on the network play but it does affect your play. Your system should be good enough to connect 4 players especially with 128 meg of ram. I have played with 8 players on a system running as the server that was not as good as yours and game play was fine.

Comment

My friends and I play like this all the time.

I usually host the game on my Athlon 740mhz/256mb RAM/G400 system.

Everybody has their own static IP and subnet. We're on a switched 100mbps LAN (not that that really matters. )

The computers connected are (other than mine):
              1) Athlon 700/256mb RAM/Geforce2 GTS
              2) Celeron 300a@450/256mb RAM/G400
              3) Celeron 300a@450/128mb RAM/Viper 550 TNT
              4) Pentium II-400/196mb RAM/Viper 550 TNT

Seems to work rather well.

To auto-assign IP's you'd have to have a DHCP server running which is probably more problems than it's worth if you're not running a dedicated server.

I don't know about connecting via USB. I don't know if that's even possible, yet.

Good luck.

amish
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

what does "switched" means?

Comment

Ethernet hubs are really just repeaters. When one computer sends a packet, the hub receives it and sends it to all computers. Each computer then checks the packet to see if the packet was intended for it. If not, it discards it. If it was, then it accepts it and forwards it on to the OS. A switch, on the other hand, sends packets only to the intended machine. This is much faster, since the network isn't bogged down with unneccesary traffic, and is also more secure because only the intended receiver recieves the packet.

Comment

what do i need to make the network switched? do i need a special hub?

Comment

No, you buy a switch. A hub and a switch are different, I explained it in my previous post. They cost more than hubs though. I don't know too much about networking, but look for switches from known companies (3Com, Linksys, NetGear etc).

Comment

You can get 8-port 10/100 switches for $80 USD and up...

Here's a review of several switches at Anandtech:
                        http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1260

good luck

amish

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
                        X