Need help with Baldur's Gate 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Baldur's Gate 2!

Every time I enable 3d acceleration in the configuration section of Baldur's Gate 2 the game draws 2D in 16bit color. The configuration indicates 32bit color though. Turning 3d acceleration off restores the game to 32bit color. I have a G400 SH and using drivers 6.04. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd really like to know how you are determining that the game "draws 2D in 16-bit". What exactly does that mean?

And no, I'm not picking on your English skills, I'm just confused. The game works fine under Win2k for me... please elaborate so we can help you.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Sorry for my sloppy english. When I turn on the "use 3d acceleration" option in the game I am getting significant color banding. When I turn off the "use 3d acceleration" option the colors fade smoothly again with no signs of color banding. I am playing at 640x480. I have a P3600 128mb, G400 SH 32mb. I applied the Baldur.ini edit that Bioware recommended with no effect. Hope you guys/gals can help. Thanks a bunch. No other problems noted with 6.04 drivers.

Comment

Which baldur.ini edit did Bioware recommend?

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Hi.
          I just tried setting the Backwards Compatable 3d to "1", in baldurs.ini
          Configured 800X600X32 in 3D with G400 5.52 drivers.
          Very interesting.

It completely erases the Splash screen <A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/dragon640.jpg"> flashing rectangles</A>
          and <A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/fade640.jpg"> loading screens</A> multicolored stripes.

However, the graphics look like they are in 256 colors at 640X, very similar in appearance to Diablo2 on a 19 in monitor.

The game play is awful!! The characters move in very slow choppy motion and the mouse is extremely sluggish.

------------------
          ASUS P3BF i440BX,Intel PIII 500, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 5.52 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

[This message has been edited by derah (edited 02 October 2000).]
          Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Comment

I have noticed this myself. The game appears to run in 32 bit color mode, but all the "movies" in the game seem to be in 8 bit color mode. So far, the only movies that I've seen are sleeping, and sunrise/sunset, so it doesn't affect gameplay, but it's as if the cut-scenes are in 8 bit color mode.

Comment

Quote:
              "the game draws 2D in 16bit color"

How are you determining this?
              How are the 6.04 drivers with BG2 otherwise?

------------------
              ASUS P3BF i440BX,Intel PIII 500, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 5.52 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor
              Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Comment

Targon: fancy meeting you here

I was referring to the very sluggish and pixelated graphics in the game itself, not the resting or loading screens.
                Editing the ini file was a big mistake.

I'm back to playing 1024X in 2d (until I flash my M/B BIOS) and its smooth as silk.

------------------

Comment

Err... ok, I'm a bit confused. I just tried it out in Win9x, and it ran fine with the newest certified drivers from Matrox. It looks (surprise surprise) just like the Win2k version (same ICD after all).

I honestly don't know what the problem is on your machine, but there's something wrong. Do other OpenGL games/apps work ok for you?

Did you run the uninstaller before installing these latest drivers?

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

I've got the same rectangles thing when I enable 3d...but it is my own fault for using the 5.06 Win2k drivers...the newer betas break EQ, and the WHQL ones broke both of my DVD programs
                    Still a great game even with 3d turned off.

DS
                    Games Box
                    --------------
                    Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                    ------
                    Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                    -------------
                    Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Running a commercial 3D-engine on my G400 with any recent drivers gives me all the textures in 8bit colour instead of 32. It worked fine on the 5.25 drivers for win9x tho.

Wonder if this is related to the 8bit movies thing you have seen.

Suppose it might get fixed if it has wider implications than just the vega engine (which is truely hideous btw)

------------------
                      P3-700E@933, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC133... Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

Derah, I'm having the same problem as you, when I enable 3D-mode the game seems to run in 256 colors. All pixely and stuff. I'm using the latest drivers.

I had the same problem with Icewind Dale (another infininty engine game).

If you or anyone else comes up with a solution please post it here. Thanks.

Comment

Hrm. This obviously isn't an isolated issue. We'll kinda need to troubleshoot your systems.

Let's start with step 1:

"Did you do a completely clean install of the 5.14 drivers yet?"

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

I'm going to try it (the 5.14's) tonite Gurm. If it fixes BG2, then I'll see if I can get you to try and help me figure out why my DVD software won't work...the matrox DVD software and MGI SoftDVD Max just hang when loading with the 5.14 drivers (clean Win2k SP1 install).

DS
                            Games Box
                            --------------
                            Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                            ------
                            Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                            -------------
                            Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

There are only 2 pieces of DVD software that I know to work under Win2k - Cinemaster 2000 and PowerDVD 2.55 and up.

Even Cinemaster 2000 didn't work for me until I plugged the Elsa frontend into it.

The Matrox player is known to NOT work for 99% of users under Win2k. And I have no idea about SoftDVD, although I never liked it much anyway.

If you need links to where to find "evaluation" versions (wink wink) of the above software, e-mail me.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X