No announcement yet.

New game in development (OPPORTUNITY!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New game in development (OPPORTUNITY!)

Ok, this has been crossposted to both the Soap Box and Matrox Gaming. Kruzin, don't kick my ass too hard, as this is slightly off topic. Ok?

----------------------

I wanted to let everyone know about something I'm working on. Also, I wanted to recruit some people. Here's the deal...

Online gaming is the future of gaming. Everyone is headed towards online, collaborative gaming environments. However, the current offerings are pretty meager, and essentially flawed.

What I'm working on (and have been for several years, ever since college) is a new type of online gaming system. 100% dynamic. The game world can (and will) change WHILE THE GAME IS RUNNING. Tired of systems like Everquest and Ultima Online where there are either newbies or veterans, and nobody in-between? That won't happen here.

The technical aspects will be available soon. For more information check the following web site:
    http://users.rcn.com/goldovitz

At any rate, I'm looking for some help. I have the engine aspects pretty well determined, but of course I'm no artist or database guru. I'm looking for programmers (C++ and Java), Database Types, and Artists.

This could be something big and long-term (or it could fail miserably - typical risk in the game development world).

I'd love to hear from you!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Sounds neat. Unfortunately I am not a programmer. I am a good beta tester and like to tear stuff apart and put it through all sorts of configurations. Also if you need it tested on Windows 2000 Advanced Server I am your man!
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

DosFreak:

I need testers and idea people too. Mail me...

mailto:gurm42@hotmail.com
      mailto:gurm42@yahoo.com

- Gurm

------------------
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Do you plan on creating your own graphics engine?
        Or use something like Half-life, Quake3 or UT and do a total conversion Mod?

The link goes to a blank page.
        A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
        because in that way the child learns to lie.
        Babylonian Talmud

Comment

very interesting. I work as a software engineer and know C++/Java, but I'd like to know a little bit more on the detail on your project to know how much I can contribute. I also know some computer graphics theory and did some OpenGL programming before, but I never did game development. I can /probably/ also contribute as an artist =), graphics or music, but probably more on graphics..I've been using and playing around with photoshop quite a lot..I know some keyboards and just gotten my way around bass &/guitar =). Anyways, like I said, this is very interesting, but if you can put just a little bit more details on that webpage link you gave, that'd be great, thanks.

Comment

Sorry, I've been busy typing up the big descriptor. As I said, this was just a theory for a long time, and finally my wife made me realize that maybe I could make it work.

Basically, I want to address the problems with online gaming. Have you ever played a MUD? Infinitely more flexible than Evercrack or whatnot, but with its own problems (slow, no graphics, entirely server based, badly coded, etc.) to resolve.

I originally started writing my own MUD/MOO. Then I started porting the base code to Java, and realized that I could create a dynamic system (technical explanation forthcoming, I promise!) and... err... just read the web page tomorrow. I need some sleep and then I'll upload it. Honest!

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Sorry all - the correct information is up there now.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X