WinME and TCP/IP - PING Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinME and TCP/IP - PING Times

Well I got a copy of WinME and installed it on an extra hd to see how my ping's in UT would be.
    Just to compare it with Win98, I logged onto the MGI server and played for a bit with Win98, then put the WinME drive in. My ping in Win98 was about 220-350, and in WinME it was 1200-4000 and with VERY high packet losses on the same server. I know using a modem the connect can change so I reconnected to my dial-up then connected to the server 2-3 times and the same thing happened
    So my question, is there something I need to tweak in WinME to get the ping and packet losses down. I like the way the game runs in WinME!
    Thanks,

Oboy
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Oboy, there's a certain Sprint router connected to Matrox that's a major headache for all of us from time to time. Try again later and see if it's still that bad.

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 21 September 2000).]
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe!
      But it also happens on other servers.

Oboy
      Time to make the wafers!
      Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
      jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

I'm running WinME, have been for about 2 months now (if not longer ), and I tried the MGI server a couple of times, when I was in the mood. Never had any problems. Besides being cannon fodder for the likes of .. oh well, about everyone that plays UT more than me

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

OK then maybe the router that's at your ISP is the problem. I had to scream at Comcast@Home my provider for three day to get them to fix their Gateway. They didn't believe me when I claimed a 20-30% packet loss. I finally got ahold of a friend whom happens to be an @home tier 2 tech and slammed them on it also. Then and only then did they fix it!

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 22 September 2000).]
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It seems to me that if your ping was fine with Win98 and bad with WinME, then it should have nothing to do with the ISP/Router (but maybe I'm wrong).

Sounds like there should be some configuration setting in the operating system that would fix it. I don't know anything about ME so I can't help -- sorry Oboy.

But I can help you test it some more by playing you online again.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Hmm, I think the TCP/IP stack of ME came from Win2K, right? Try www.optimizing.net (good for dialup modems, I used it before I got DSL) for some optimizing tips.

Comment

Working...
              X