X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.x drivers and G400

Greetings to all Matrox fans

I finally did the smart thing and upgraded to
    G400 32MB from G100. Well I had no idea what I was missing before G400. I am very impressed with the quality and sharpness of the picture and I find 3d speed satisfying even with my P2.
    Ok but now on to the problem. I was happy with included drivers (5.25 I think) for a while and DirectX games worked fine, but OpenGL for example in the Heretic2 was little slow so I wanted to try out if I could get any speedups with driver upgrade. So I got my hands on the latest BETA 6.01 and tried to install them after use of matrox uninstall utility. Everything was going fine until it told me to reboot. After reboot I got windows protection error. I uninstalled new drivers and got back to my old ones and everything was working fine again. This must be beta issue I thought and installed the latest drivers 6.04 (MS Certified). Nope, same error again. So I finally (I don't know why I even bothered ) tried to install 5.52 and...WOW everything is ok and Heretic2 is much faster and even better looking than before and some games that did not work are suddenly working now (Aliens vs Predator DEMO). Guess I'll stick to 5.52 for some time.
    But I am still wondering what would cause these errors with 6.x drivers.

P/h/a/d/e

My specs are
    (I can not post more right now):

HP Vectra VE6
    Intel PII-350
    96 MB ram
    Matrox G400 32 MB Singlehead
    4.3 + 3.2 GB HD
    SB Live OEM with LiveWare2.0
    Intel 440BX Chipset

Windows 95 (not the most updated version, could this be the problem ???)

Hi

When you removed the 5.xx, did you set your driver to Standard VGA and then run the Matrox driver uninstaller?

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/pd_unin.zip

Then when your PC is working with std driver, try the new ones... they do work real fine.

Also, you might want to try this, but be sure to have all your drivers nearby.

Restart your windows in safe mode and check your drivers in Device Manager and click open all your devices except 'System Devices', you don't want to mess in there. If your seeing doubles... or triples (!!!), at least erase the ones that are on top. Windows 'usualy' works with the last installed one. That procedure is faily advance... your the one clicking your mouse... not me.

As for Win 95 OSR1, this is not good! If you can, go to Windows Updates and start DLding all the new stuff... if you have room on your C: drive. Win 95 OSR1 original is not even Y2K.

HF

------------------
    Mosport Challenge
    the Spyware Infested Software List
    Celery 366 OCed @ 446(81), Soyo 6BA+III, 64MB SDRAM, Millennium G400 DualHead (486 cpu fan), SB Live! Value, FBall KA 13.1Gig (7200rpm), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-RW, Intel based 21140 10/100 NIC, Nortel Networks HSA1300 1-meg ADSL modem and also a ModemBlaster DI5630... enough!
    --
    Gilles Lalonde
    SysAdmin (.RPM)
    Linkedin

Comment

I think what is it too severely. Deliver 98SE.
      Problems like unnoticed, behind some exception.
      Among other things say what for MB for thee?

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.
      P!!!-900/128Mb PC133
      WD200BB
      DVD Pioneer DVD-115
      SB PCI128
      CTX - PR500F
      MB GA-6OXM7E
      MGA G400 SH 32MB

Comment

PD 5.55 is still best for me. There are problems with Halflife and TurboGl with all 6.xx drivers.

------------------
        Intel Pentium III 600
        196 MB SDRAM
        Matrox G400 32MB DualHead
        10GB Maxtor HD 7200rpm
        Compaq 40x CDROM, Toshiba SD1212 DVDROM
        Creative SB Live Value
        Microcom Deskporte 56k Voice modem
        Compaq P700 FD Trinitron Monitor
        Intel Pentium III 600
        196 MB SDRAM
        Matrox G400 32MB DualHead
        10GB Maxtor HD 7200rpm
        Compaq 40x CDROM, Toshiba SD1212 DVDROM
        Creative SB Live Value
        Microcom Deskporte 56k Voice modem
        Compaq P700 FD Trinitron Monitor

Comment

I must admit that every driver that Matrox threw out on me worked fine on all games (except those that had conflicts with the drivers themselves, thus not working on all computers).

I owned a G200 and now a G400.

------------------
          "I wish I was a witch...
          ...to shove my broomstick right up your *ss."

Comment

I love the new drivers. It's the first time I've been able to run 2x AGP with a fsb of 138

Comment

Thank you all for quick replies.

MotherDawg: You mean it is important to set driver to standard VGA BEFORE using the uninstall utility ??? I just used it (while still having G400 drivers active) then machine rebooted and dialog to set standard VGA popped up. So I did and then used setup utility (while in standard VGA). After next reboot I got the windows protection error.

mike_k: Hmm I have not tried this TurboGL thingie. Do I need win98 for that ???

Having studied this thing a bit I found that this error could be because of unflashed BIOS, old drivers, windows bugs or memory errors. But the thing is that only 6.x drivers (well I have not tried all the 5.x drivers of course) give me troubles.

So I think I'll do some windows updating just to see what happens. 5.55 drivers work really fine and are MUCH better than my original 5.25.

P/h/a/d/e

Comment

Here's a wild guess, but what version of Direct X are you using, Phade?
                The 6.x drivers were written with DX7 in mind while the 5 series were all written during the DX6 era. If you need DX7 you can download it from http://www.murc.ws/Driver/DirectX.html
                RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

RAB: I use DirectX 7.0, somehow forgot to mention it .

Comment

Working...
                  X