G400 OpenGL doesn't work in Win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 OpenGL doesn't work in Win2k

I can't get OpenGL to work in any games that require it. The OpenGL subsystem always fails to load.

I don't have TurboGL installed (I never have) and the system always manages to find opengl32.dll in the C:\WINNT\system32 directory, but then for some reason, only software accelerated modes are avaiable, never hardware!

pchoi-
    make sure you:
    -are running 16 or 32bit color desktop
    -have an IRQ assigned (irq9 or higher) to the G400
    -have dualhead disabled

cking4-
    The OpenGL32.dll you see in your game folders IS the TurboGL. TGL manager simply copies/deletes that file when you tell it you do/dont want to use TGL on that game. The OpenGL32.dll in your system folder is the Windows OGL, and needs to be left alone.

Win2K does not use TGL. If you see an Opengl32.dll file in your game folders, and you are using 2k, you need to remove those files. Leave the one in the system folder alone.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't have TGL installed (as I mentioned in the post), my desktop is set to 16-bit at 1024x768 @ 75 Hz.

The G400 is on IRQ 11, but that is shared with the SCSI controller. According to Microsoft:

In Windows 2000, some or all of the devices on your ACPI motherboard may be listed on the Resources tab in Device Manager as using the same IRQ (IRQ 9). You cannot change the IRQ setting because the setting is unavailable. This occurs because Windows 2000 takes advantage of the ACPI features of the motherboard, including advanced PCI sharing. IRQ 9 is used by the PCI bus for IRQ steering. This feature lets you add more devices without generating IRQ conflicts.

Note that Windows 2000 does not have the ability to rebalance resources as does Microsoft Windows 98. Once PCI resources are set, they generally cannot be changed. If you change to an invalid IRQ setting or I/O range for the bus that a device is on, Windows 2000 cannot rebalance the resource it assigned to that bus to compensate. Windows 2000 does not have this ability because of the more complex hardware schemas it is designed to support. Windows 98 does not have to support IOAPICs, multiple root PCI buses, multiple-processor systems, and so on. Rebalancing becomes risky when you are dealing with these hardware schemas, and will not be implemented in Windows 2000 except for very specific scenarios. However, PCI devices are required to be able to share IRQs. The ability to share IRQs should not prevent any hardware from working in general.

The Plug and Play operating system settings in the computer's BIOS should not affect how Windows 2000 handles the hardware in general. However, Microsoft recommends that you set this setting to "No" or "Disabled" in the computer's BIOS. For information about viewing or modifying your computer's BIOS settings, consult your computer's documentation or manufacturer. Manually assigning IRQs to PCI slots as a troubleshooting method may work on a non-ACPI system, but these settings are ignored by Plug and Play in Windows 2000 if ACPI support is enabled. If you need to manually assign IRQ addresses to a device on an ACPI motherboard, disable ACPI in the computer's BIOS before installing Windows 2000.
      So unless anyone else knows a way to change the IRQ settings of the G400 (which I can't manually adjust in Device Manager)... looks the the only solution is to reformat! I can't do that!

This is my IRQ config, which according to Microsoft, I can't change:

IRQ Number Device
      1 Easy Internet Keyboard
      5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
      5 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
      6 Standard floppy disk controller
      8 System CMOS/real time clock
      10 LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
      11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
      11 Adaptec AHA-2940U/AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Controller
      12 AMD PCnet-Home Based Adapter
      13 Numeric data processor
      14 Primary IDE Channel
      15 Secondary IDE Channel

[This message has been edited by pchoi (edited 21 September 2000).]

Comment

Take this over to Matrox Hardware. However...

You aren't using ACPI. You are simply sharing a single IRQ. This is most likely the result of having the SCSI card in the slot next to the video card.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X