Question about the TFC Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the TFC Server

What software do I need to get on there, and where can I get it???

I own the original HL. What updates/patches/mods do I need to apply and where can I get them?

thanks,

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

You should have ALL of the patches for HalfLife.

There is a patch that goes from any version to the latest (1.1.0.1). It's just short of 40MB.

Also get the Mutliplayer pack. It contains a number of maps and player models.

As for maps, along with the standard Valve maps, I also have the following TFC maps installed. It covers me for 90% of the servers that I play on:

2morfort bases_r cj2
    cnynhnt con1 darkness
    fortsake invect3 nml
    pipezone run tf_hood
    tfcborder2a thepres

Take some time to learn the maps from the sides of all the playable teams. That way you should be able to quickly get from one side of the map to the other with the flag, or you know how to cut off the enemy flag runner.
    Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Where do I find these??

Also, what about TFC itself??

amish

Comment

Electric,

You don't mention what version of Half-Life you have (or when you got it), so I'll give you the kitchen sink here...

Here are some links for you...

Planet Half-Life: http://www.planethalflife.com/

Planet Fortress: http://www.planetfortress.com/

Half-Life latest patch (updates ANY version): http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=46204 (39 megs)

With the latest patch, you get TFC as part. You will also get all the Valve maps, which will do you for 95% of the servers out there. I'd suggest playing on servers w/valve maps to get a feel for the game before moving onto user-made maps, which tend to be more intricate and, well, complicated (not to mention how many BAD maps there are out there).

Another very popular mod out there is Counter Strike (CS). I hear CS will be part of the next patch, but that's not been verified by Valve yet. Players either tend to love CS or hate it. It's supposed to be a more realistic one-shot-one-kill type of mod.

I'm not sure what maps the MGI server is running, but you can get almost any map you need from the links on planetfortress.

If you're totally new to the TFC community, I'd suggest stopping by the planetfortress site and hitting the forums with your questions. Lots of skilled and helpful people there - it's a nice little community.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm always willing ot help someone get into TFC!
        PIII 550@605
        IWill Motherboard VD133
        VIA Chipset
        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
        G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
        DirectX 8.0a
        SB Live! Value
        8x DVD (Toshiba)
        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
        3Com CMX Cable Modem
        Optiquest V95 19"
        HP 812C Color Ink Jet
        Microtek flatbed scanner
        Intellimouse Explorer
        Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
        AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I have the ORIGINAL HL, from when it first came out.

I've played TFC a little at the last Mountain States LAN party. I enjoyed it a lot. We also played a little CS, but I really didn't like that very much.

I'll have to see if I can get this stuff downloaded and see how my ping is to the server.

thanks
          amish

Comment

Working...
          X