Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Grand Prix 3 with Dual Head on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Grand Prix 3 with Dual Head on...

Okay, here's something for you to hack through if you ever come to this situation. If you use Dual Head, and install Grand Prix 3, then disable Dual Head, you will find that GP3 doesn't work too good anymore (dumping you back to the desktop or very slow gameplay)

How to get over this? You could uninstall the game and reinstall the game (like I did before I found this out... ). But easier is to make a copy of and edit the file gconfig.txt

In here you'll find one entry of the software driver, and 2 entries of the G400 Dual Head. Just delete one of the entries, restart the game and recallibrate the graphics card. That's all to it

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Hey Jorden,#

What do you think of the game? I really enjoy it. The graphics are good, but i can't believe they left bits of dos code in a year 2000 game, made me laugh.

Cheers

To understand life we should remove complexity and find simplicity.
    Tony 1999

Comment

The DOS code is because the game was originally scheduled for release in 1998, as it's using the 1998 grid.

But I like it very much. And it's speedy. And you get to drive for yourself, even if you leave all of the driving help on (like you really have to steer through corners!!)

Visually it's one of the best, even though the trees might look a bit graphically (is that the word?).

Did you ever try to race with starting rain, then see how those puddles appear on the track, then the advertisements start to show on the track (in perfect mirror image) etc.?
      This is really cool !!

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'm a big fan of GP3 - just got it last weekend. The graphics are pretty cool - I have it at 1280*1024, everything on and it is perfectly smooth! I have a couple of niggly probs with my MS FF Pro joystick though: When on the grid it waggles furiously until you start moving, and (not sure if this is a stick problem) sometimes, like when having just been through some gravel, it wont change up out of first gear unless I brake briefly. Any ideas?
        Also, have you noticed how the graphics (esp. the cars) seem better when looking from a track-side cam, or is it just my imagination?

Cheers, Tony.

------------------
        K7Pro(110), Athlon 900(750)@8.5,105fsb, G400 32 DH@max, 1.6BIOS and 6.x beta drivers, SB Live Player 1024, 256Mb PC100 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD, 20Gig IBM 7200 ATA66, LS120, MS forcefeedback pro, CL WebCam III etc etc
        FT.

Comment

I think I've sussed the throttle problem - throttle assist (F7) is supposed to reduce the throttle setting if the back wheels spin! Shame it doesn't recognise when they aren't anymore.

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

I've tried my MS Gamepad with the game, but even with the .con file I can't use it, as it uses joystick variables and names... and I'm not a good guesser at the buttons

But when I start from the grid using the keyboard, I spin sideways as well, when I leave the throttle pressed down. Just see the lights go to green, briefly give full throttle, then let it go, then give full throttle again and you'll drive normally.

About the sideways-graphics: They do look a lot better than from in the car. Just a bit difficult to drive with (I accidenetally hit one of those keys while riving... )

If any of you don't know where to get the new cars and 2000 specs, setups and all that, check out http://www.crash.to/grandprix3 to find a bunch of links !!

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Silly me - I was being black-flagged - doh!
              FT.

Comment

Hey Jorden, Tony. been on holiday, that's why i haven't replied.

Have you guy's set the cockpit distance to say 120%, gives you a more realistic view i think.

Tony, you never told me you played GP3, we should have a game at work over LAN, what do you say mate, let's see how good you are. Oh yeah, got any good setups?????

Tony
                Tony 1999

Comment

Hey Wizz, that sounds like fun, but do you think these poxy Dells are up to it with their ATi Rage Pros?

I don't have any setups yet - I've only had time so far to complete Monza whilst doing the braking myself. Sounds like you'll beat me for sure.

Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

Hmmm, Tony and Tony... now this can be difficult to answer

Tony A: Doing the braking yourself? Auto-throttle on for sure

Tony (W): I haven't fiddled around with my cocpit yet, cos I don't know where to do this, but it's probably some ini file?

For setups use the link I gave above

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden - yep

I've turned off steering help - now that makes for accurate driving, I can tell you

BTW, its easy to tell us apart, isn't it Tony?

Tony.

PS anyone tried the 2000 Monza track yet? Are there any drawbacks to installing it?
                      FT.

Comment

Jorden,
                        You don't have to go to the .ini file to extend the cockpit view.
                        When you load-up GP3, got to:
                        options
                        graphics
                        advanced.
                        On the top right you will see virtual cockpit. Also you will see 'change cockpit view angle. click on that to highlight and change the angle to 120% or 130% or anything you want. I have it on 130% and it gives me a GPL type cockpit view.
                        Happy racing.
                        Tony 1999

Comment

I have this game too - very good! It gets even better if you invest in a Logitech Wingman Formula Force Feedback steering wheel!!

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

It was a friends birthday yesterday. He got a Guillemot Ferrari FF wheel because he wants my FF stick and he knows I want the wheel.
                            Of course, when purchased 3 weeks ago, it had to be tested thoroughly before being wrapped. I can't wait to get it back.

We also had fun playing Rollcage using the wheel and stick simultaneously on one PC.

Steve, do you have any problems with the FF on that wheel? I found it rather subtle on the Guillemot wheel compared to the stick, and I understand there is a FF patch on the horizon.

------------------
                            K7Pro(110), Athlon 900(750)@8.5,105fsb, G400 32 DH@max, 1.6BIOS and 6.x beta drivers, SB Live Player 1024, 256Mb PC100 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD, 20Gig IBM 7200 ATA66, LS120, MS forcefeedback pro, CL WebCam III etc etc
                            FT.

Comment

It can be subtle, but it's possible to turn up the force feedback, isn't it? I have a feeling I had GP3 set to 100%, and it worked great. I tested a few wheels before I chose this one.
                              I think that the logitech one's so much better because it feels so much stronger - it has steel cable drive and it just feels like it aint gonne break. The microsoft one especially felt very tacky to me.

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                              X