• win 95 problem

"Memory Range E8000000 - E8FFFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range E4000000 - E4003FFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range E5000000 - E57FFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge"

i get this in the device manager>display adapters>matrox...>resources

does anyone know this meanS? please help if you Understand.

It means you should be running at least win 98, if not win2k or winME.

Win95 was before the age of AGP. Even with the USB/AGP service pack it doesn't do a good job of handling it.

I believe (if memory serves correctly), that the conflicts you are seeing are normal in 95 due to it's limited AGP support, and these are not really conflicts you need to worry about.

Get that OS upgraded, and the probs will most likely go away, and your tech demo will probably start to work.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I agree with Kruzin. Try to go to at least Win98SE.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Yes, I believe that these are the standard false error messages in w95.

However, I disagree in the necessity of upgrading w95 if you have at least w95 osr 2.1. Yes, the USB drivers support in w95 is laughable, but their AGP support is not too bad, if you install things in the right order. Nvidia cards don't work right with w95, but Matrox has great stable drivers for w95.

The tricky part is knowing the correct order. What works for me is:
        Install w95
        install the USB supplement
        install the 440BX chipset drivers
        install directx7
        install matrox drivers
        install sound card drivers
        etc.

What sucks is that w95 is very picky about the order that these are installed. Install them in the wrong order, and you may just be screwed and have to start from scratch.

If you don't have at least w95 osr 2.1, you should upgrade to 98 or bust.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the help.
          The reason i stick to win 95 is because it uses less resources than 98.

by the way, where do you get the usb supplement? i assumed that it was only available from the retailer.

Comment

The resource usage is overrated. Win98 is by far a better choice if you want to use newer hardware. The USB supplement is on your cd if you have the correct version. If you don't, then you are going to have to move to a different OS.

Rags

Comment

In my w95 osr 2.5 CD, the USB supplement is in other\updates\usb\usbsupp.exe. If I remember correctly, it is in a slightly different place on an osr 2.1 cd. Anyhow, just search for "usbsupp.exe".

Don't ask me why microsoft decided to put AGP support in the USB supplement. How obvious, eh?

Comment

When dx7 first came out it refused to install on my Win95 OSR2.1 with USB support, claiming it was an "invalid OS". I had to uninstall the USB before it would fly.

Has this changed with more recent releases?

Ian

Comment

They must have fixed that bug in installing directx7 in w95. I never had that problem, but I was too skeptical to install dx7 when it first came out.

Comment

Working...
                  X