• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 refuses too work let alone any opengl game

Here r my specs:
    K6 III 350
    Matrox g200
    64mb ram
    windows me (but have had 98 installed and Q3 wouldnt work)
    I am stumped as to why Quake 3 will not work. my system bairly scrapes into the minmum system requirements i know but as far as im concerned any Quake3 is better than none.
    I have tried everything at present i have the latest drivers for my card 5.52 and the latest update for Quake 3. Ive tried turning bus mastering off but no luck. Every time i run Quake 3 with bus mastering on it plays the intro movie or part of it then the c.d key screen\main menu is displayed for a fraction of second before i recieve a windows blue screen error. I have tried installing Quake 3 off both a win98 and winme install with no luck. Ive tried the matrox g200 opengl drivers on the Quake 3 cd.
    one interesting thing too note is that my g200 is sharing an irq (number 11) with and IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI STEERING and try as i may i couldnt stop this sharing. Anyway I ABSOLUTLEY must play quake 3 so any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: half life and many other direct 3d programs work fine except a few stuffed up textures which are too be expected from an older card.

thanx a lot for your help
    - [alpha]Airwalk

Sounds like a tricky one.

The only suggestion that some to mind offhand is to try the 5.41 drivers (and maybe even 5.3x). Many G200 users (esp. on AMD systems) have trouble with anything newer.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard. Older VIA chipsets are the trickiest to get running. Tell us what motherboard/chipset you have, and someone will suggest the proper mobo drivers. There are also BIOS options you may want to adjust, which we can tell you when we know what mobo it is.

And be sure to be set to a 16bit desktop color depth. OGL will not work with 24bit.

Other notes:

It's normal to share an IRQ holder with any bus mastering device (like G200). Nothing to worry about there.

Disabling BusMastering is not a solution. Even if you got it to run without BM, it would be a slide show. BM is key to the performance of video cards.

HalfLife (while does have a half-assed D3D support) is based on the Q2 graphics engine....It's an OpenGL game, and if we can get you OGL up and running, that's how I suggest playing it.

Blue Screens Of Death (BSOD) are often traced to bad memory. Try a different stick of RAM.

For the best help, post FULL system specs, including a complete IRQ list.

Good luck.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

A few suggestions:

1) I have never gotten the 5.52 drivers to work on my G200/K6-3 450 computer. Only the 5.41 and the beta G400 6.01 drivers work. With the 6.01 drivers, you have to copy the INSTALL.INF file from the 5.52 driver directory into the 6.01 directory to have a G200 install option, but it works well. Remember to uninstall the 5.52 drivers first, before you try installing the 6.01 drivers.

2)Turn off DMA for your CD-ROM drive in the device manager properties box for it. Older drives did not like DMA on VIA chipsets. This will also keep you from having to turn off busmastering. Don't worry, the hit to CD-ROM performance is not noticable and you get to keep the busmaster benefits on your G200.

3) you might need to get the latest AGP drivers from VIA ( www.viatech.com ) and install them before you upgrade the Matrox drivers.

RAB
      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Matrox PD5.30 will NOT work with G200 on MVP3-based (or perhaps any VIA-based) mobo. You'll have better luck with PD5.30 if you happen to have ALi-based mobo. G400 is a different story.

There are lots of posts either here or Matrox tech support forum, that PD5.52 OpenGL ICD does not work with Quake3 even for G400, could be a VIA-ony issue.

PD6.01beta is your best bet. Seem to fix VIA issues well even for G200. But as mentioned, you'll need .INF from PD5.52 to install on G200.

If everything screwed, try PD5.25. But the ICD is slow......

[This message has been edited by kjliew (edited 08 September 2000).]
        KJ Liew

Comment

As everyone else has alluded to, there can be difficulties with your motherboard.

If it is a Via based motherboard(has a via mvp3 chipset in it), then you need to go here, http://www.via.com.tw , and download and install the Via 4in1 service pack.

If you have an ALi based board(Aladdin V chipset), then go here, http://www.ali.com.tw , and download and install the AGP and IDE driver patches.

Good luck
          Ian
          Primary System:
          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
          Seccondary System:
          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
          Tertiary system
          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
          X