Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, choices, choices!

I need some opinion guys.
    Currently I have a Marvel G200 In my system which has done me proud for both nle and gaming.
    I'm gonna upgrade to a g400 but don't know which way to go.
    I would really like the power of a Max, but looking at the quality of the Marvel, I'm torn.
    I have a few options.
    Go straight for the marvel G400 and sell on my Marvel G200.
    Get a Max and put my Marvel in my second sytem, with a view to selling on the marvel and buying a RR/G at a later date.
    Or, do I just sell My Marvel G200 and buy a Max-RR/G combo!
    Any thoughts!

Cheers.

Trav.

hi,
    i ordered a MAX and RRG about a month ago and am waiting delivery :O)

allthough reading this forum had brought some interesting things to light, it seems some are having problem with a vertical jitter on capture of video with the g400/rrg combination. Which may or may not have been fixed with the latest video tools depending on which thread you read

also everyone has commented on the excelent abilities of the marvel, producing bright and clear pictures. which is apparantly due to the new generation mavel chip, along with a new decoder chip.

now my priority is to video edit (video production student) :O)

but i dont want to wait another month for my cards to come and then maybe have problems with a 'jitter', even if there is no problem and is all works hunky dory.

the marvel has new bits and peices in it which can only improve the video, my rrg would be based on the older generation of the chips, so not quite as good????

so right now im trying to find out how much of a difference the 16mg makes, and thinking of cancelling my standing order, and getting a marvel.

it will come much quicker and have no vid problems, (cross fingers)

hope ive helped, let us know what else you learn or which way you go,

Cheers.. CMB
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Hi, Trav
      http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001956.html

check out this forum to see which way im going, its a bit lengthy but has stuff which you should find interesting, alog with examples of he Marvel output :O)

have fun
      CMB
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Thanks guys

I'm being swayed towards the Marvel.

As my System is used for 50% Gaming 50% Video editing I still fancy the grunt of a Max tho!
        Think I'll keep reading peoples opinions for a while.

Trav

Comment

I'd like to know if the extra 16 megs of a MAX makes a difference for 3d gaming compared to the base 16 megs of a Marvel G400.

It's still twice as much as my 8 MB Marvel G200.

- Aryko

Comment

hi,
            so would I
            :O)
            the main difference i can tell, and from tests and reviews is that it cant do 32bit colour in 1600x1200 only 16 bit,
            so i would presume it cant do the mega high resoloutions,
            but since my monitor doesnt go that high i dont care :O)
            the only thing i can think if is if the game needs 32mg to load textures into, for example
            Nocturne, i heard that runs great in 1024xwhatever
            (i really must learn to remember
            on a 32mg MAX
            but what about the marvel
            i hope im not deemed to select Medium quality textures, for the next year or so
            if you check the posts about unreal tournament it seems that selecting high quality textures indueces a 60% performance hit, and if the max cant handle that what can the marvel do??

on the other hand,im only just starting to notice the limitations on my marvel 8mg
            e.g. nocturne only in 640x480
            or im unable to play Moterhead in 1024x768 in 32bit colour

what do the rest of you guys think about the 16mg difference?

Comment

I'd go for a MaX and a rainbow runner G (and that's what I did) since you can at least use a second monitor if needed on teh second head and well... the MAX is quite faster in games... if you don't mind connecting your stuff at the back of the computer rather than on the BOB, the 100% with the MAX and RRG combo...

Comment

hi,
                thats what i was going to do,
                but as i said the increase in video quality over a max/rrg is more important to me then games, once i reach around 60fps with everything on in around 800x600 i dont give a damn :O)

also it would never be hooked upto a second monitor anyway, just my 32inch widescreen tv permanantly so im not really losing out

the only thing im sad on is im stuck at 16mg, guess we'll have to see what limitations that brings.

but as long as i can get to 1024x768 ill be singing the marvels praises from here to...
                well anywhere really :O)

Trav, decided what you do primarily, are you a gamer and do the odd video for fun , or more of a NLE hoobbiest???

what are you next upgrades planned? eg
                my next buy is 35gig hard drive and a DV camera to fill it up with :O)
                my p2450 does me fine for now, and if i want higher frame rates ill get a p3, 450 when there cheaper and turbo gl wil kick in YEE HAA :O)

but if your next planned purchase are a handfull of games, peripherals ect

then go for a max and rrg :O)

either way im sure youll be pleased as punch
                (cant believe i wrote that)
                lol
                CMB

Comment

Working...
                X