Ping Times Win2k vs Win9x???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping Times Win2k vs Win9x???

anyone notice a significant difference between the two? I'm using a cable modem, and when logging into WON under win98, my ping is around 100. Under win2k its around 65. Anyone notice this? I chalked it up to better optimization of the data packets. Please enlighten me....

I never actually used Win2k, but from what I know, Win2k may give you better pings, but it will definitely give you a more stable connection as long as everything is set up properly.

Comment

Yes, I noticed this too. My pings dropped about 10 percent across the board in win2k when compared to win98.

Rags

------------------
      Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Ditto, here too
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

with Win2k I never get Ping over 30 if I select one of the servers in the top 30 listed in the q3a arena browser.

Win98 would give me a much higher ping ( 20 - 60)

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 12 August 2000).]

Comment

I've noticed this too! Perhaps it's because Win2k runs all apps in seperate memory spaces

Cheers Till

Comment

Apparently MS rebuild the TCP/IP stack (whatever that is) for Win2k. Also it's the same version in WinME.

Jazza
              --
              Jazza
              www.i-wish.org.uk

P3 500 (not O/C)
              Gigabyte BXDS
              256Mb Ram
              Matxor 30.5Gb IDE
              Fujusi 15Gb IDE
              Creative 5x DVD
              Yamaha 4416s CDRW
              Iomega Zip
              SB Live
              G400 Max
              WinME
              Powerdesk 6 (beta)

Comment

Jazza's probably right here. Win2K does have a completely new, re-optimized winsock. I didn't know the difference was that significant. Glad to hear it's also to be used in WinME.

John

Comment

What they said. Win2k's TCP/IP stack is much improved over 98. I just hope they release a Win98 update for that so we don't have to use WinME to get it. WinME blows by all accounts I've read to date.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

so win2k is much better for on-line play then? Has anyone compared the pings with win me to see if it is comparable?? It might be worth it to upgrade to win_me then....

Comment

I just noticed my ping times are lower by a bit under win2k. My gameplay seems pretty much the same as win98, which is a very good thing.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                      X