Somebody convince me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody convince me.

I have tried twice to go for a new video card recently, both times a geforce card, both times a complete let down. Too many crashes, Too many bugs, sure the games that do work run VERY fast.

Personally I prefer to run most games well, rather than a few games fast, with the rest crashing.

As for the Video options, I cant speak for the geforce but the marvel is great quality, stick with it.

IMHO

------------------
    P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,BT ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

No G450 Rainbow Runner-G Support
    I've now had it officially confirmed by Matrox that there will be no Rainbow Runner-G support with the Millennium G450. So I'm afraid it looks like the end of the line for Rainbow Runner-G owners, it's stick with your G200/G400 or find another solution.

It's interesting that Matrox are stating that they have no plans to discontinue the Marvel G400, we know from a recent driver release that they have something called the Matrox Marvel G450 eTV in the works. My thinking on this is that they are doing away with hardware video capture/editing codecs and all new Marvel type products will use software codecs, it makes sense I suppose with the current spec of PCs. Perhaps though this leaves a gap for the Matrox Video Group to come in with a Rainbow Runner-DV based on their Digital Video editing extravaganza the Matrox RT2000, now that I would like to see.
    Taken from Ant's news page, posted July 18th ...

My advice would be that you stick to your Marvel as long as you can and wait what exactly Matrox will release, covering the consumer's video market.

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Somebody convince me.

On Asus' web page my eye spies the AGP-V7700 Deluxe. It is basically a GeForce 2 GTS with full resolution, full motion video. With capabilities similar to the Marvel series.

I currently have a Marvel G400 and have been looking for an upgrade path. Every video card I have bought has been Matrox since they suited my needs (Mystique 220, Marvel G200, Marvel G400). Does anyone know if there will be a TV version of the G450? If not, I'll have to go the way of GeForce. At least until I build my second machine .

Comment

hey maggi
        Im in no rush to upgrade to the latest and greatst. My max looks great and performs fine.
        but after reading what you wrote im a little concerned.

Call it foolhardy, but some part of me always took comfort in the fact that the proper next gen Matrox Card the G800 had a good chance of being compatible with my Rainbow Runner G?

do you think this would be the case?

Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Originally posted by CMB:
          hey maggi
          Im in no rush to upgrade to the latest and greatst. My max looks great and performs fine.
          but after reading what you wrote im a little concerned.

Call it foolhardy, but some part of me always took comfort in the fact that the proper next gen Matrox Card the G800 had a good chance of being compatible with my Rainbow Runner G?

do you think this would be the case?

I wished I knew ...

To be honest I did expect the G450 to be supporting the RR-G, but as everybody knows now, they dropped to support it with the G450.
          This doesn't neccessarily imply that the G800 would also be not supporting the RR-G, but only time will tell.

I think it could be a nice move from Matrox, if they give all those RR-G owners out there an option to upgrade their main gfx-card without having to loose their RR-G capabilities. Even now that they skipped it for the G450, they could (imho) revive RR-G support with the G800, but what do I know ...

Cheers,
          Maggi
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

The All-in-Wonder Radeon looks good as well. It even has Environment Bump Mapping.
            http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...eon/index.html
            http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...ddr/index.html

This is not to say my second machine will not have a Matrox Card. I just want something better for hardware video encoding that does not cost 600+ dollars and improves my 3D.

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 02 August 2000).]

Comment

well thinking about it.
              It makes sense that the g450 isnt rrg compatible..
              its the last of the '400 series pushed to the limit, and its not going to offer anyone drasticly different performance.. maybe slightly better numbers

(feel free to correct me if im wrong)

that way matrox has something new and slightly better to ship in oem stuff and to new users, whereas the main bulk of us are waiting for G800

Looking at it like that, it needent have RRG compatibilt. Where it would be advangatgous though is in a new product so like you say, we can all upgrade.. and that way matrox wouldnt have to relaunch a new RRG for ir or anything, just new drivers :OP

at least i hope they see it this way

As i see it the G450 is a re-worked product rather then a new one
              Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Here is a review of that card, pretty lame though. After saying it's not a card for gamers but for people who want to do video editing it just shows some useless benchmarks, there is not even a single word about the capture quality.

Comment

I liked the pic of SGRAM that they call SDRAM in that review.

Jeff

------------------
                  Remember when naps were a bad thing?

-------------------------------
                  You stop learning when you are die, and some people just don't know the're dead yet!
                  -------------------------------
                  ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 - 256MB Ram - MX300 - 3Com 509c - 3com 905tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro
                  -We stop learning when We die, and some
                  people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                  Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                  - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                  - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

The G450 will not shake the tree of any gamer. Just buy the best that you can't afford! It works for me. The Geforce2 is a great card, way overpriced but its a great card. The G800 will be priced up there also and you will see it before X-mas. (My guess)

Somebody convince me.?
                    Be a man and make your own mistakes!

Comment

On the Radeon...

STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAAAAAAAARRRRR AWAY!

ATI declined to write Win2k drivers for their last card (which has now been relegated to the bargain bin - you can get one for $150 online!), and hasn't written a Win9x driver for it in months. Their Win9x drivers for it still don't work.

Come to think of it, they haven't had a single car with working drivers for... um... several years. At least. Not a one.

So stay far away from ATI, unless all you want is a kickass DVD player. But then again, you could buy a G400 or a GeForce and a set-top DVD player for what the Radeon costs.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I am still looking for that cool rotating ATI logo, which had the following text on it:

"ATI: Drivers Wanted!"

does anyone still have it?

Comment

Not to sound like I love ATI or anything, But my second machine has a Radeon 32MB DDR and it's drivers are just fine. I haven't had a single crash in any games i've tried it on. I got the card from a friend who owns a computer store who wants me to test it for him, and so far I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Tried UT, Quake3, Drakan (with EMBM), Motocross Madness 2, NHL2000, Expendable (again with EMBM), FAKK2, Evolva (with bumpmapping patch) and they all worked without any problems. I am not saying in my testing I won't find anything cause I am sure I will, But so far I am impressed with it's drivers and it's speed. 2D ain't half bad either somewhere between a G400 and A Voodoo 5.

[This message has been edited by YoKoMo [1] (edited 08 August 2000).]
                          PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

2D ain't half bad either somewhere between a G400 and A Voodoo 5.
                            ?

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 08 August 2000).]
                            System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know i'm not using Matrox cards in both machines so I need to GET OUT right?
                              PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

Working...
                              X