• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable UT update FAQ, sorry

How do you get UT patch 4.20 or 4.25 to install when you get this error:

---
    <Critical Error>
    Assertion Failed: GetClassInfoExA (NULL, TCHAR_TO_ANSI (WinBaseClass), &Cls) [File:..\Inc\Window.h] [Line: 1394]
    History: WControl::RegisterWindowClass <- UWindowManager::UWindowManager <- InitWindowing
    ---

Relevant configuration:
    - Windows 98 OEM installation
    - Matrox G400Max: PD5.55 install w/ Video Tools 1.54 (RR-G)
    - Windows Update "critical updates" as of 2000/08/01
    - NO Visual Basic update patches installed (I suspect this might fix the problem but I do not know where to find the updates anymore)
    - IE 5.5

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

Comment

I think you are looking for vbrun50.zip. Let us know if this solves the problem. I got the same error message but I could not find a solution. Suddenly it disappeared and I did not find the reason. I installed vbrun50 so it looks good that this is the solution.
      But if this is the problem shouldn't there be more users with the same problem?

[This message has been edited by mirp (edited 04 August 2000).]

Comment

Mirp: Thanks for the location. I was looking for the 5.0 update since that was what Epic recommended oh so long ago.

Unfortunately, no good; still have the error when attempting to install patch 4.20 or 4.25.

I am mildly curious to know what makes 4.13 install cleanly but causes 4.20 and 4.25 to trigger that bug.

Given the name of the crashing function (GetClassInfoExA(); an MFC function, ANSI version (the "unicode" version of this function is GetClassInfoExW()), I even tried installing VC++ 6.0. No good.

[smirk/] I'll bet NT and 2k users are not having problems with this. Anyone else with Win98 have this problem?

Comment

Today I have to reinstall Win98 (new MB+CPU). And this...friendly message came back. Argh...
          So I installed many programm to look whether someting fix the problem. But nothing repaired it. Every fix which should fix issues with UnrealEd did not help.
          Finally I tried MS Word 97. And it worked!! So it seems to be a Visual Basic problem. May be the latest VB Runtimes will help you. I don't know. I'm just happy I find a way to run the 42x-patches. :-)
          It looks like this is a Win98 problem only. Or is there someone with Win98 SE who has the same trouble?

Comment

Yep, that fixes it.

Although I would like to know what specifically about installing Word97 makes it all happy...

Comment

Working...
            X