X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is THIS?????

Questions;

1. what latititude are you at?

2. how many degrees above the southern horizon was it? If you know what the ecliptic is was it close to it?

3. was it stationary? If it moved what direction and how fast?

4. the change in "size" was likely due to the cams autofocus having a problem stabilizing. This happens with bright objects at night and at near-infinity distances.

5. if fast moving it could be a large object like MIR, a spy satellite (the US versions are the size of a large bus) or a shuttle.

6. The color seems right for Sirius, the brightest star, or Venus. Jupiter and Saturn are more yellowish when in focus.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 21 October 1999).]

Looks like you were using a telescopic lens
    and filming something bright extremely far away like a star (as the Doc suggested) and with shaking the camera ever so gently gave the effect of movement. The camera had to be mounted on a tripod
    The focusing was as doc mentioned because either the image was too far or actually too close and you didn't have a macro lens

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

Yep, i agree with doc. The object was either stationary or moving slowly. I caught during a momentary break in the clouds before it disappeared again. i think it might be Venus, although i'm not sure about the ecliptic it was shot about the right time, the object very high at about north easterly direction.

Elie, i did use a tele len mag x1.4, its no great shake but could be the reason the object flares up when it goes out of focus.

Tony
      To understand life we should remove complexity and find simplicity.
      Tony 1999

Comment

Or someone could be lighting a cigarette in front of you

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

No people!! Its a UFO. OMG!!! The world is ending!!! Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Run for my life? Hell...I'd try to hitch a ride!!

With Gore running for President & Clinton still in orifice a UFO ride couldn't be any weirder..... ;-P

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What is THIS?????

Hey guy's, check this out on http://216.15.144.49/ufo.m1v its a 1.8Mb download and 30sec clip. What do you think it is????. I shot it three week ago with my handycam and its 2 min long, the mpeg compression does not do it justice because of the high compression. As much as i would like to believe its a UFO, it may just be a planet like Jupiter or something.

Tony

------------------
              Tony 1999
              Tony 1999

Comment

Would you prefer Buchanan in the Oval Orifice? Heil, Doc!

------------------
                Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Actually, as a PS, I have never understood why a country with about 250,000,000 eligible souls can always produce such a poor handful of candidates on either side. Perhaps the other 249,999,980 have too much sense???

------------------
                  Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"Even the former leader of your United States of America, James Earl Carter Jr., thought he saw a UFO once... But it's been proven he only saw the planet Venus. Venus was at its peak brilliance last night. You probably thought you saw something up in the sky other than Venus, but I assure you, it was Venus."

Man in Black, "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", The X-files...

- Aryko

Comment

Just for your information.
                      From http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/head...t22oct99_1.htm

October 22, 1999: Lately, you may have
                      noticed a bright light in the sky that rises
                      above the eastern horizon around dinner
                      time. It's not an airplane or a UFO -- it's
                      Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system.
                      This weekend Jupiter will be brighter and
                      closer to the Earth than it has
                      been for a dozen years.

Regards
                      Eyvind

[This message has been edited by Eyvind (edited 22 October 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Eyvind (edited 22 October 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                      X