WinME vs. Win2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinME vs. Win2K

Since all the me vs. 2k articles I've seen make no mention of Matrox boards, I am bringing this question here.

During the week, I run Office a lot. During the weekends, I run games a lot.

Which is better for me: ME or 2K?

BTW, I am running 2K right now.

Thanks!

------------------
    -Jonathan Beilin
    http://members.tripod.com/Black.Lotus
    Abit BX6R2@133 Mhz FSB, P2-400@533, 128MB PC133 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19", MX300, Altec Lansing ACS56, Zen 52X CDROM, and 1746 MP3s. 2046 3DMarks (3DMark2K).
    -Jonathan Beilin
    Abit BX6R2, P2-400, 256MB SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19"

Dual-booting with Win98 (as it's a bit cheaper than Win ME) and using something like Win98Lite to keep it small and lean is probably a good bet. You could use Win2k as your primary OS, and boot to Win98 for those stubborn games that refuse to co-operate with Win2k.

Comment

If you're going for a single OS, go with ME. It will be much better behaved for games and probably more compatible with a G400.

Comment

I would go with the dualboot route. There are some programs that just run better under win9x (ME), but you will probably spend most of your time using win2k. I know I do.

Rags

------------------
        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I never really understood the dual-boot thing. Not since Win2k got close to finished.

I came to a realization one day. I was going to boot into Win98 to show my friend a benchmark difference, and when it booted I realized that I had had the machine parititioned and dual-booting for 2 months, and in that time not ONCE did I log into the Win98 side. Not ONCE.

So I shitcanned it.

I have yet to find a game (other than Rainbow 6, for which there is a workaround) that JUST WON'T RUN on Win2k. I know there are some, but none of the ones I play.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

NFS3

EA messup the setup, so that it won't install on WinNT systems, because 'Windows NT is not capable of running NFS3'... COUGH

Comment

There's a workaround for that, IIRC.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

hehe grum, i know what you mean..... i use win2k and have it set to dual boot, and yes i havent used or booted into win98 for 4 months...... but i still can't get rid of 98 becuase i have yet to find a work around for the following two programs.

one home control refuses to work in win2k. (it is x10 control software that allows the comp to reporgram and control my home lights and outlets. (i got everything on hardwired timers)

two my ch products throttle dos based software. i could use a boot disk with this but untill i can get rid of home controll i mightas well use win98.

if only i could get rid of the homecontrol software i could dump win98 off my box
                msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Hi!

I just installed WinMe yesterday after a Win98 HDD messup. Sofar it looks good. I like the faster bootup. Win98 used to take ages due to my SCSI controller and Network card. Also Diablo 2 seems to run just fine, and that's enough for me.

I have had Win2k installed before but my problem is that the lousy el-cheapo Canon LBP-460 laser printer I own has NO support for NT or Win2k. I tried calling Canon once and was told that it was a quote "Windows 95" printer. Great! It works fine (except for the huge CPU/memory load when printing) with Windows 95 and up but not with with Win2k.

I have been meaning to trash this sucker for ages, but every time I go to see my local hardware pusher, there's allways something a bit more interesting on his shelves, like a new monitor, faster CPU, bigger HDD etc.

Anyone elso know that feeling?

Maybe I should put "a new laser printer - NOT CANON" on my birthday wishlist...

Regards,

Jake
                  Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                  ----------------------
                  Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

merchant2112, have you considered using a Philips Pronto to control your X.10 equipment?
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Gurm:

Worms Armageddon won't run under Win2k. There's a reason for dual-booting if I ever saw one. And depending on what vid card you run, gaming and benchmarks (at least for me) are MUCH faster in Win98SE than Win2k. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Win2k, but for me there's a major speed difference in Win98SE (GF2 drivers I suspect).

Bart
                      Bart

Comment

Jonathan:

Take this for what its worth, but Firing Squad has an article posted comparing Win2000, Win98, and WinME. The article has lots of benchmarks, but I found it stupid in the way that the writer assumes that different results across the OSes is ONLY the fault of the OS, and NOT the fault of other things that may affect game benchmarks, such as maybe VIDEO DRIVERS (duuuhh ). Since they're probably halfway up Nvidia's arse, this doesn't surprise me. It may be worth a read for you.
                        http://firingsquad.gamers.com/featur...al/default.asp

Bart

[This message has been edited by The Rock (edited 08 August 2000).]
                        Bart

Comment

merchant2112, With the Pronto you'd probably still spend a lot of time tweaking it with ProntoEdit but luckily, its a Win9x app.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam, i do use a remote to control all my equipment as well as the cm11a computer interface. (it has builtin macros and timersettings) for example there is no better alarm clock than haveing 3 4foot lights turn on in the morning to wake me up. and have all the lights in the house turn off by them selfs after ive left for work. ect... i mostly use the remote but every once in a while i havfe to adjust the programing of the cm11a unit. and that can only be done with a computer hooked up to the cm11a by the com port.

i keep thinging about getting a pronto they are nice but cost too much for me (at least until my curent remote dies.....
                            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
                            X