Q3A recipe for gamma and intensity in Win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3A recipe for gamma and intensity in Win2k

I know that hardware gamma doesn't work in Win2k on Q3A, but has anyone arived at software gamma & intensity settings that they're happy with?

Cheers,

G

No, I was never really happy with anything. It always seemed too dark or too bright and the color seemed washed out compared to win98 using hardware gamma. I have since uninstalled quake3 and installed half-life again to play counter strike. I do not have a enough room on my hard drive to have any more than 2 games at a time. So i will have quake3 off untill this hardware gamma thing is fixed.
    A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
    because in that way the child learns to lie.
    Babylonian Talmud

Comment

oooh ooh me! i got some good settings for quake 3 arena.

seta r_gamma "2.4"
      seta r_intensity "1.5"

i added the r_intensity line in my q3config.cfg and changed my r_gamma to make it higher.

------------------
      AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
      256MB PC-100 SDRAM
      20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
      8.6GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
      ATAPI 40X max Generic CD-ROM
      IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
      SB Live Value
      Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
      SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
      3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
      Windows 2000 5.04 Matrox Millenium G400 Drivers
      Windows 2000 Advanced Server
      AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
      Asus K7V Motherboard
      384MB PC-100 SDRAM
      20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
      30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
      Generic DVD-ROM
      IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
      SB Live Value
      Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
      SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
      3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
      Windows ME
      6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

Thanks man!

Cheers,

giskard

Comment

What does the r_intensity do, does it make it brighter? If I set my r_gamma and higher than "1", I can't see a thing!

giskard: I know this might sound a bit stupid, but have you tried turning your screen brightness up when playing, it helps me! I have to turn it down again when finished though...

My Monitor is a Mitsubishi 1772ie. At normal brightness settings, Q3a is really dark, but adjusting the brightness of the monitor up to full makes it look just fine!

Cheers Till

Comment

I've been turning the brightness up when i play Q3A. It's not too bad, just not as good as it used to be in win98.

I'm going to give dzeus' tip a lash. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Cheers,

Giskard

Comment

well... just an extra note:

when you set "r_overBrightBits" to 0, make sure you also set "r_ignorehwgamma" to 0. You'll be surprised when you see the results! Q3A look like crap with r_ignorehwgamma! I've played with that option enabled for almost 6 months, and I almost forgot how great Q3A looks when gamma is working _properly_

So people, go out and try it! you'll be amazed!

------------------
              - What do you get when you put N nVidia whores in a circle and each one pats the person on their right on the back and says "nVidia wins 3dfx and Michael Knight any day of the week!" ?

- You get N people with a boosted ego, and no-one loses anything; keep up the good work, boys!

Comment

dZeus,

You are a legend son!!!!!
                Problem solved. Now quake3 looks like it should on a Matrox card.

Than you very much.

Giskard

P.S. All Win2kers should be trying this. It totaly kills the ignorehwgamma solution and it sure beats hiking up the brightness on the monitor.

Comment

Hey Mr Ant,

You should consider throwing this tip on the main news page.

The G400/Win2K_ing 'Bretheren' should know about this...

G...

Comment

I believe this was posted here quite some time ago. I am pretty sure of it.

Rags

Comment

that's what I thought too when I read this somewhere else... I searched the murc forums, and did not find it... that's why I put it up. I guess everyone was using "r_ignorehwgamma 1" until now.

glad I could help those people who did not know this

Comment

Hey great tip, works great. Now I just gotta stop the game locking up my system!
                        I can't wait for some descent drivers for Win2k!! God damn Matrox are slow with these...

Cheers Till

Comment

locking up your system?

that wouldn't be the long delay when loading the level at "Awaiting Snapshot" ?

sometimes it waits over 30 seconds before it enters a game, sometimes it hasn't entered the game after 2 minutes. Those times I just quit (and occasionaly the console doesn't even show up any more). I think it is a memory problem, since I only have 128MB, and when I locked the pagefile to 192MB, it would not even load _ANY_ level any more (all gave this problem).

Comment

The waiting snapshot times increase with the memory requirementes of a level. It happens noticeably when you increase the texture quality and resolution.
                            You should set the paging file to 256 Mb.

Comment

I have a dynamic pagefile of 192-384MB

and I run Q3A 'only' in 800x600x16 bit

Comment

Working...
                              X