Setting up an NLE system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up an NLE system

Reading through the forums I keep hearing it's best to have a dedicated NLE. How would it work to have a dual Boot system, with one dedicated to NLE and the other standard?

Also when setting up hard drives - I have a 27.3 gig 7200 RPM and a 10 gig 5400 rpm. Is it best to use the 7200 only for video and the 5400 for OS and other software? (Both are IDE) or doesn't it matter?

Mahalo (thanks)
    http://www.kidspot.org

Hi Kidspot,

Well I guess it depends on how mission-critical your video capture/editing is to you. Yes, in pure terms it would be better to have a completely seperate system, either as a standalone workstation or a discrete bootup.

But in reality, that isn't necessary for the majority of us. I run 2 systems (networked for convenience). The main system runs W95 OSR2, has a Celeron 300a @450, a 4.2Gb main HD partitioned to 3Gb for OS and apps, and 1.2Gb for downloads etc. The second drive is an 8.4Gb 5400rpm UDMA33 which is dedicated for video capture. I keep this drive completely clean, defragging and error checking regularly (especially before a major capture session).

The second system breaks all the rules, it only has one 4Gb drive partioned 50/50% with W95 and NT dualboot. I can run limited captures on this without too many problems (I only do this for testing purposes anyhow).

Comment

Well, that really depends on what NLE you plan on using. If you are going to use a Rainbow Runner or a Marvel card, it isn't such a big deal to use a 5200 RPM drive. The datarate from either hard drive would be fine for it (should be). As far as programs, I have a lot of other stuff on my computer, but if I had a more powerful NLE card with higher requirements for speed I would probably try to keep the system fairly clean. You don't want programs fighting with each other if you have editing to do and a deadline....

Kris
      Kris Gurrad

Comment

Thanks guys - Since this is all new territory for me (NLE that is) I have been enjoying this forum a great deal. Now I just have to reformat my hard drives and get them ready to install an RRG (when they are once again available)
        http://www.kidspot.org

Comment

Working...
        X