Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my games keep exiting to the desktop! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my games keep exiting to the desktop! Help!

Just recently my games began exiting to the desktop They'll start and once im about to play ...desktop!. I have never had this problem before I was using the 5.30 drivers for my g400Max card and i tried changing them to the 552 ones and still the same problem. I have direct X 7.0 on here and everything else seems to bne updated. I have a P3 450 g400max and a monster 3d II card can anyone shed light on this?
    -paul

Have you tried re-installing the games? I got some problems with some games after installing Win ME. I just deleted my old Windows directory and installed, then AoE 2 wouldn't work, I re-installed and it worked fine.
    P3 500 @ 600
    256MB PC133 RAM
    64MB PC100 RAM
    Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
    Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
    WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
    G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
    Monster Sound MX400
    512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
    Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P3B-F
    Logitech X1 Speakers
    Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    19.1G IBM 60GXP
    8.4G Seagate
    1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

It coud be that your cd-rom player is broke.I had the same problem whit my dvd-player.I changed the player and my problem was gone.

Comment

I have reinstalled a couple of games several times. and still the same problem. How would I be able to tell if its my cd player?
        It seems to be ok...i mean it doesnt have problems reading
        -paul

Comment

Is anything in your system overclocked? How fast is the bus? If you don't know, then thats probably not the problem.

Comment

My cd-rom is ok i have a cdr too and i tried installing and running a game from that drive and still the same problem. Nothing in my pc is overclocked everything is pretty much default as is.

Comment

Hello Paul,

(sidenote: Not another Paul please??? )

Can you supply me with a full systems sepc and IRQ list of your system? Plus, have you tried reinstalling DirectX 7 or 7.0a??

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ive got a g400 Max vid card...one Monster 3D 2 card an aureal vortex2 audio card. 2910 adaptec scsi card yamaha 4416s cdr acer 36x cd, P3 450 256 ram zoom pci modem.
                irq 0 system time
                1 keyboard
                2 programable interupt conroller
                3 com2
                4 com1
                5 irq holder pci steering
                5 zoomfaxmodem
                6 standard floppy
                7 Lpt1
                8 cmos
                9 vortex sb pro emu
                10 vortex multifunction pci platform
                10 vortex pci audio
                10 irq holder pci steering
                10 usb controller
                11 scsi card
                11 irq holder pci steering
                11 g400max
                12 ps2 mouse
                13 numeric data processor
                14 pci bus master
                14 primary ide
                15 pci bus master
                15 secondary ide

ok thats that
                i believe i had 7.0 in there Ive had it in ther for quite some time and everything worked fine and i havent updated anything in a long time also bceause everything was working fine. Ive foundn about half my games work, half just exit to desktop when they worked fine b4...some examples are drakan, expendable and rainbow6 work...darkstone ,nox
                nfs3 and rogue spear wont anymore. Im extremely close to doing a full reinstall. Could a virus cause a problem like this?

Comment

11 scsi card
                  11 g400max

Not good.
                  Both of these are busmastering devices, and should each have their own IRQ (along with an IRQ holder for each, which will take care of itself)

If possible, disable a com port or 2 to free up an IRQ. Through the mobo BIOS, force the G400 to IRQ9, and let the SB emulation go down to one of the lower IRQs opened up by disabling the com port.

G400 should be on IRQ 9-11.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Your IRQ list gave us a good incentive...

3 com2
                    4 com1
                    5 irq holder pci steering
                    5 zoomfaxmodem

First off, what's your modem doing on IRQ 5? Your SB emulator (Vortex SB Pro emu) should be there.

9 vortex sb pro emu
                    10 vortex multifunction pci platform
                    10 vortex pci audio
                    10 irq holder pci steering
                    10 usb controller

It's a bit full here, but nothing that you can do about it, and nothing that would crash your games.

11 scsi card
                    11 g400max

Now the G400 should have an IRQ alone. Try to reset your PC, and check if your BIOS has the option Set IRQ to VGA, also disable Set PnP OS in the BIOS. This way you can set the IRQs for certain cards for yourself in the BIOS that Windows has to follow.

Check g200 D3D, Open GL, Half-life g200d3d.cfg Problem for more on the subject of how to move your IRQs easily (even if the problem here is a G200, the setup is the same).

Also check The Archives as I put a link in there How do we move those IRQs around? (and much more help)

Jord.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

What color depth are you running? I have had problems with some games if my desktop is set to 32Bit color. Sure my card can handle it but not all of my games are able to handle switching modes. More mature drivers often help but sometimes you just have to wait for them. Unless you're looking at photo's you may not be able to see a difference between 16bit and 32bit. I have seen this problem with Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, Virtual Pool (original, 2 & Hall). You may just try it and see if your problem remains.

------------------
                      PIII/600 256MB, ASUS P3B-F,50+GB, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!, DSL, etc....

PIII/850, 640MB, ASUS P3B-F,80GB+ of HD, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!MP3, Cable Modem, etc...

Comment

...well this is what it came down to. I was unable to switch irqs for my scsi card...couldnt do it through bios because it didnt have specific irq assignments. I disabled the scsi card through win to let max have its own irq and the problem still occoured. I tried all depths of res as i normally have it @ 32 bit 1280 x 1024.
                        My 3dfx card games also freeze when starting so im just going to reformat and reinstall and hope it all goes away. Thank you all for your input and support.
                        -paul

Comment

Working...
                        X