Diablo II verrrrry slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo II verrrrry slow

I have been trying to play Diablo II but....

System:
    P2B/128meg ram/G400max/SBlive/PIII 500/Win 98

I have updated all drivers (video tried 5.52 and beta 6/sound/MB/directX)
    Defragged drive, killed all tasks in background
    but even walking around town my FPS drops to the teens in ANY mode....

I love the game but when facing hordes of monsters I cannot even tell whats going on.

IS anyone having any luck or is this a common problem?

Hi TK421, i had the same problems in D3D mode, was using 5.41 and would get into the LOW teens, so i went to DDraw and i now get a steady 24FPS a sec with skipped frames every once in a while. I know this doesnt help you any, but maybe if you used the 5.41 drivers, youd have better luck

Frankfurt

------------------
    Here is my crappy system config:
    K6-3 450, 256MB SDRAM,Tyan Trinity ATX (S1598 2mb cache on board), <b>Matrox G400 Max </b>
    Windows 98SE/Mandrake Linux 7.0/win2k/beos 5.0 (free version)
    SB 128 PCI
    AOpen Lan aln-325c

Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Comment

CUBX/128 megs/G400max/SBLive/Celery2 533@600/Win98/PD 5.52

No problems here at all, runs very nice. Can you show us your IRQ list? Are you having problems with any other games? Did you try turning off all the graphics/sound options?

Comment

Here is the IRQ list, I have had no other problems in many diffent games (UT, quake 2,3 Vampire, rollercoaster etc...)
        I have also tried the no sound option - no luck, it still runs at the same speed...
        Same with all video options...

0 System timer
        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
        2 Programmable interrupt controller
        3 U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT PnP
        3 Communications Port (COM2)
        4 Communications Port (COM1)
        5 Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation
        6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
        7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
        8 System CMOS/real time clock
        9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        10 Creative SB Live! Value
        10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
        11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        12 WheelMouse2 (PS/2)
        13 Numeric data processor
        14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
        14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
        15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
        15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Thanks.....

Comment

Wow, I have been plaing Diablo II on my G400 Max 32MB for the past 4 days and have not had any problems at all. Just for grins, since I still have a monster II 12MB card 3dfx card for glide enhanced games, I switched my video to that card and things looked very different. I wont say the looked better and some things like the flames and other animations looked a Hell of alot worse. Tearing & getting kicked back to my desktop frequently. Never had that problem when using D3D mode on the 400MAX. I'm using the Powerdesk 5.55 drivers on Matrox BIOS 1.6 - 25. Oh and Mother Board is P3B-F with BIOS 1009.

My two cents

------------------
          PII/400 386MB, ASUS P3B-F,27GB, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!, DSL, etc....

PIII/850, 640MB, ASUS P3B-F,80GB+ of HD, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!MP3, Cable Modem, etc...

Comment

Is your hard drive accessed when the slowdown occurs?
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

no, neither drive or cd are being accessed.

Comment

Hi Ppl,
                Wierd...I went on Battle.net Forums, and most ppl have the same problem...Hard Drive Swapping...CONSTANT SWAPPING!!...I am talking about every minute, about 10-20 secs of non-stop Hard drive Swapping...I hope they can fix it in time....before everyone quits playing...hehe...great game by the way...

------------------
                Sanjuro Makabe

P!!!550E @ 733Mhz
                ASUS P3V4X 1005, 4in1 4.22, AGP 4.03
                128Mb PC100 C2 Ram
                Matrox G400Max PD6.00 beta
                SBLive! LW3.0
                WinMe 4.90.2535

Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                ASUS P4T-EA
                Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                ATI 8500 Retail
                SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Sounds like Blizzard didn't do too good of a job beta testing. I've got 128 megs of RAM and my swapfile's fixed at 256 megs, and haven't had any swapping problems that I know of. I've had the game "lock up" a few times, but it's always ended up just being the game waiting for the CD-ROM to spin back up to speed.

Comment

no probs here

p2b(bios 1012.7)
                    sblive (liveware3 +latest driver update)
                    matrox g400 (pd6.10.021beta)
                    directx8 4.08.00.085 beta
                    intel chipset 440bx (driver Version 2.30 )
                    256 ram
                    virt mem fixed at 640mb

tried ddraw and d3d both play fast

Comment

Alright you guys, I have to rant at you for a bit now. 24fps is not that bad. This isn't UT or Q3 here. It's an RPG. You don't need 314.15926 fps to play the game, 24 is plenty. My G200 and Athlon 650 work fine. Yes it does slow down a good bit at times but it's never unplayable, even at 10fps. The only time that it gets difficult is when I'm in town(Lut Gohlein) with the automap open.

Now quit yer whinin' and have fun with the game. You can't honestly expect anyone to think that you are somehow enjoying the game less because you aren't getting 60fps.

Ian
                      Primary System:
                      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                      Seccondary System:
                      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                      Tertiary system
                      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I understand your rant, but when you cant tell whats going on and get killed (or nearly so) because your screen is frozen but your still being hit for several seconds, I consider that a problem.

Not enough for me to stop playing (as I love the game) but enough to really annoy me.

And to try and find an answer.....

Comment

I have seen many people mentioning that the game is slowing in certain places. Must be something about the way it loads the models and scenery.

Tip: Do not try and play necromancer if you have this kind of problems. You will get major slowdowns when your 10 skeleton mages attack all at once.
                          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I used to have virtual memory size at 200, I changed it to 256 and it's ok so far...no slow downs...I'll test it more...

------------------
                            Sanjuro Makabe

P!!!550E @ 733Mhz
                            ASUS P3V4X 1005, 4in1 4.22, AGP 4.03
                            128Mb PC100 C2 Ram
                            Matrox G400Max PD6.00 beta
                            SBLive! LW3.0
                            WinMe 4.90.2535

Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                            ASUS P4T-EA
                            Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                            ATI 8500 Retail
                            SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                            WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

I have 256MB, a G200 (5.03), P2-266 LX6, and Win2K with the default virtual memory settings, and Diablo2 swaps like crazy for 30 seconds after exiting.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X