Still openGL problems with Half-life (Counterstrike), G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still openGL problems with Half-life (Counterstrike), G200

Probably this topic already gets on your nerves, but I don't know who else could help me...I'm kind of desperate. *sigh*

My system:

Hardware:
    • PII 400 @ 448MHz
    • Asus P2B Mainboard (BIOS: 1.012)
    • 128 MB DIMM 100MHz
    • Matrox Millennium G200 AGP
    • SoundBlaster 64

Software:
    • Windows 95 (B-release)
    • Half-Life (v. 1.101)
    • CounterStrike (v. 6.6)
    • PD 5.52.015 (BIOS: 2.7 - 23)
    • current resolution: 1024x768 (16 Bit)

I'm currently running Half-Life (CounterStrike) in the Software-Mode with 800x600 Pixel and it's OK with little exceptions (stuttering when seeing smoke grenades), but I'd really like to run it in openGL (since I have the Matrox Millennium G200 AGP and I've heard that it runs perfectly on other PCs).

When switching from this software-mode to openGL the game is running really slowly and when quitting an internet-game, the windows task bar and the system tray suddenly appear and other strange things happen.

Does anyone have an idea what to do?
    Do you maybe need more information to help?

Thanx!

I am guessing your g200 only has 8MB of ram. If you are running the game at 1024x768 and 16-bit color thats 1024*768*2 = 1,572,864 bytes or 1.5 MB of ram you are using just to support that resolution. Compared to 640*480*2 = 614,400 bytes or 0.6 MB of ram used. Then what is left over is used for textures. G200 has the fill rate to support 1024x768 but does not have the ram to spare so that most of the textures can also be stored in the ram. The reason it could be so slow is that there is alot of AGP texture swapping. Counter strike is much more demanding on you system then half-life.
    A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
    because in that way the child learns to lie.
    Babylonian Talmud

Comment

Right, my G200 has 8 MB of RAM. Don't get me wrong:

My windows (95b) is running in 1024x768 (16 Bit), Half-Life in 800x600 pixel.

So, do you have any idea what I can do? I've heard that many others with similar computer specifications have no problems and Counterstrike runs perfectly.

WHERE do I have to place WHICH config file for Counterstrike? I think it is autoexec.cfg in the main directory of Counterstrike (half-life/cstrike/), right?

Though, thank you for answering.

Comment

WHERE do I have to place WHICH config file for Counterstrike? I think it is autoexec.cfg in the main directory of Counterstrike (half-life/cstrike/), right?
        Yes.

I have a G200 8MB running Half Life in Win2K, and it runs great in 640x480 OpenGL. Try switching to that resolution.

Comment

I tried switching to 640x480 in the openGL mode, but it's still more comfortable in 800x600 software mode...

I just do not understand...

Comment

Well there are optimizations you can try.
            In your shortcut, on the desktop, put add to the command line: -noipx -nojoy
            these two will have half-life use less memory only use this if your not using a joystick or playing a LAN game (O.K if internet). You can also add: -numericping
            if your tired of just seeing a graph and wish to see a number for the ping.

There is also cvars you can add to your confg.cfg file.
            r_mmx "1" // if you have mmx support
            gl_texsort "1" // some say it impoves performance
            gl_palette_tex "1" // not sure if g200 supports paletted textures, use less memory
            gl_keeptjunctions "0" // @620x480 don't notice there are now gaps between textures, faster performance
            r_dynamic "0" // dynamic lighting off, personally with cs I really can't tell that it is on
            gl_picmip "?" // default is "0", higher the number the faster to render but lower quality
            gl_playermip "?" // default is "0", same as above
            gl_round_down "?" // default is "3", same as above

A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
            because in that way the child learns to lie.
            Babylonian Talmud

Comment

Working...
            X