Clear All

• Gaming with a G400-TV ?

Hello

I play Tribes, Half Life (Action) and a few
    other games.
    I want to know how does the G400-TV perfom,
    especially with Tribes, and how is its OpenGL
    performance.

I want to use the G400-TV as I also want to do video editing.

Any advice on how I do both would be good.

Anton

I have the Marvel G400-TV for 4 months now and i'm surprised to see the openGL performance because all press articles claims that the openGL performance for this card is very low. I've read Tomshardware articles before spending my money, and i have chossed the matrox because of the quality of the captured image. But at gaming, this card with the latest drivers are very impressive, espescially OpenGL, i run Half-Life at 800X600 and no problems, in 1024 X 768 it's good too but i prefer 800X600
    for keeping always fluidity in complex 3D scenes. I never played at tribes, maybe the gaming is also excellent. But i have to admit, this is not a GeForce, 3dfx or TNT2. You will have some texture corruption or some corrupted texts in half life if you switch in a menu screen and then back return in your 3D scene (sometimes). In half-life it's acceptable but in Counter Strike 6.6 i can't go in the menu because i will never be able to return in the 3D Scene. Anyway with future drivers release or half-life patches this problem will maybe disappear. If you play half-life (no mods) you will probably have no problem, since only some people (like me) have this problem with half-life.
    In quake III, i have played just 1 hour, and no problem. I'm not a freak about Quake III, but i know the game runs fine with G400.

If you want my opinion : If I have to buy another card, it will be the G400-TV again. I am satisfied and have the feeling this card is the best all-in one card at this moment. Gaming is not a problem if you are not too demanding (i.e. 1600 X 1200 resolutions...).

I have a PIII 550 on a Asus P2B-S board (440bx), 128 MB RAM, SCSI hard drives, SB LIVE, Intel pro 100+ NIC.
    With a PII 300 and an AMD K6 2-500 it works the same ofr half life (my brother have the k6 and plays at 800X600 too with his G400 16MB)

Comment

Working...
    X