Now My UT is Screwed Up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now My UT is Screwed Up!!

With all of the "skins" that we have had to download lately I think that one of them has screwed me up! I have very few servers on my favorites list, but recently 2 of them have started denying access to me. The message is "Connection Failed Package 'TCowsMeshSkins' Version Mismatch" I have gone to Unreal Planet, and everywhere else I can think of downloading all of the cow skins I can find but nothing has worked. I have never, and never plan to play as a cow but I have like 10,000 cow skins now. This is getting rediculous. I am embarrased to open my player options for fear that my kids will see the new, more explicit skins (none of wich I would EVER use but I HAD to download them to play). I long for the days when I could just open UT and jump into a server without having to worry about loading 18 mods, and 23 skins to play. But I digress. Can anyone help me with my connection problem???

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Check out my post on the second page of the other topic, here http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003879-2.html

Addendum: This is because two files in the new skins are different from the ones distributed in the original UT Bonus Pack. Since those different files are currently loaded on the MGI server, you need the new files to connect there. Caveat- with those loaded, any server using the Bonus Pack skins won't allow you to connect, since its files are a different version from yours.

Hopefully Haig can replace those two TCowMeshSkins files with the original Bonus Pack files soon, then you'll have the best of both worlds).
    ------------------
    Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 06 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 06 July 2000).]
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Kindness,

I had this same problem last night. I downloaded the "cowsh1t.zip" file and when I went to install one of the skins, a message said that the file already existed and would I like to overwrite. I said no, and was denied access to the server with the same message you got. I tried to install that skin again and this time looked at the message more carefully. It turns out that although the two files have the same name, they are different sizes. This time I said yes and had no problem getting into the server.

Comment

Actually flenn, he's having a similar, but different problem. He can get onto the MGI server fine, but can no longer connect to servers that only have the Bonus Pack skins (see my message above, and in the other topic). It IS because the files are different. However, if you want to connect to other servers besides the MGI server (too), you need the old skins (if they use the Bonus Pack, and a LOT do). The only resolution is to place the Bonus Pack TCowMeshSkins files back on both the MGI server and on our systems. Then we can connect to both the MGI server, and the others, as well as still having all the other skins that are in those packs.

------------------
        Ace

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Yeah, what he said. I have to choose between Matrox and the other servers that are in my favorites. If I fix it for one the other won't work. The stress is killing me!!!!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Sounds like something else is going on here, because as I mentioned in an earlier post, I kept my original "tcowmeshskins" and can still connect to the MGI server. I can also connect to other "Bonus Pack" servers (I just checked).

Also, Joel (aka Dragon) had a similar problem, but only fixed it by re-installing the Bonus Pack -- he can now access the MGI server as well.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

No, no, no. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I fixed my problems of get into the MGI server by reinstalling the files from the Cows Skins file over on the MURC Clan page. I don't usually go to any other servers so I don't know if this is a problem yet but I am able to get unto the MGI server.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 06 July 2000).]
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Dunno what is happening (or why, mainly) for you Beezer, but I first installed all but the TCowMeshSkins files (only skipped those specific files from the zip) and couldn't get into the MGI server, but could still get on all other Bonus Pack equipped servers (I use one of the Skaarj hybrid skins from the Bonus pack). I then installed them (paying particular attention to the fact that the file dates, and in the case of the *.int file, the size, were different. At this point I was able to connect to the MGI server, but no longer could connect to the other Bonus Pack servers.

I then reinstalled the Bonus Pack (effectively restoring those two files to their original state), and was again able to get onto any other servers that had the Bonus Pack installed. Only now, I can't connect to the MGI server. I've tried swapping out only those two files again (after backing up both sets to separate directories, so I can restore them easily), and have found that those are the only things determinining which servers I can connect to, and which ones give me TCowMeshSkins version mismatch errors.

------------------
                Ace

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Oboy has the two TCowMeshSkins files from the BonusPack posted on the [MU] clan site now. You guys can get them to replace the two Bogus files that the Cowsh1t.zip file contained.

Haig, if you could please get these two files and replace the ones on the Server with them.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I've been thinking why my system does not give me the "version mismatch" error message, when many other people are having this problem.

One possible reason is that I am using a slightly different version of Unrealtournament.exe in my system folder. I do not load UT with the CD in my drive. I downloaded a "no CD" patch from GameCopyWorld.com that allows me to run UT without my CD in the drive. Its more convenient and gives me fast load times (15-20 secs).

Because this .exe file does not check for a CD in the drive, it may not check for other file versions either. You might want to give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 06 July 2000).]
                    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Or not, Beezer, as that was what screwed up my UT the last time
                      I downloaded that No-CD.exe and installed it and couldn't update UT to the latest patch, without it giving me loads of errors.

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I doubt that it's that No CD patch cause I'm using it too Jorden if you want to update you'll have to update with the original exe first then get the patched exe for that version and replace it. Are you home Jorden? We can jump on the MGI server and test those Dino skins if you can.
                        ©¥ßê®têk

Comment

It was just a thought. I'm still trying to figure out why I do not get the "version mismatch" error. I've gone back an forth to the MGI server and about 5 different Bonus Pack servers with no error message. Wish I could help....

By the way, I've never had any problems with the "no CD" crack. Had with original version, no problems updating to 4.05b, then grabbed the new crack for that version, and just recently updated to 4.20 and added the new "no CD" file for that.

Comment

Who's got UT installed in what directory? I wonder if there is a path bug like there was in an earlier patch.
                            My UT is in c:\games\ut\
                            I can't connect the the Matrox server despite
                            hours swaping files around and installing patches.
                            chuck

PS I had to play quake1 for two hour to burn off the accumulated frustration.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Mine is in o:\unrealtournament. What error are you getting when connecting to the server? Maybe you didn't install some of the skin mods that's why it's not connecting.
                              ©¥ßê®têk

Comment

Working...
                              X