deus ex g400 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deus ex g400 performance

I was just wondering how many people with similar setups to mine have tried either the Demo of Deus Ex or the retail version. I would like to get the retail (can't do demo, have a modem no bandwidth for 150MB or whatever), but I have heard the D3D code on it sucks thanks to the Unreal Engine, so I was just wondering what experience you all have had.

Thanks

Here's what I got ...

- PIII 450 @ 450
    - G400 DH 32MB (no max)
    - 128MB ram
    - sb live!

I have the same setup as you. I haven't tried the Deus Ex demo yet, but Unreal Tournament (in D3D) works fine for me...1024 x 768; 32-bit color; medium to high details... 30+ fps.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

UT ran fine on my G400Max but performance is horrible for me when I run the Deus Ex demo.

This is espicially frustrating as I've never had any performance complaints about any previous games running on my G400 (I love the Vampire engine) until I hit Deus Ex.

I went so far as to put back in my V2 SLI rig so I could play the game but somewhere along the line the video patch cable got all it's pins broken.

Now I'm contemplating going out and picking up cheap OEM Voodoo3 just so I can play this ONE game I've been looking forward to for so long.

Argh! If anyone has any tips on increasing performance for the game/demo on the G400 please speak up! (And I mean besides turning all the options off & lowering resolution)

-AB

Comment

Same here with my Matrox G400 32 MB (non-MAX) and P2 300. I should try using my single Voodoo2 (12 MB) instead of Matrox. Good thing I can have both cards installed and pick a card .
        Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

rjcarr,
          I played the demo and wasn't at all happy with the unacceptable D3D performance.
          I ran my usual 1024x768x32 and it was VERY choppy. (Unreal Tournament runs great at this setting.)
          AmbushBug,
          The D3D problem is well known and will hopefully be fixed soon. I would wait for a bit and save your money. I hear that setting the color depth to 16bit might help some.
          I tried the "other" d3ddrv.dll for UT and that didn't help at all.
          P.S. Even the GeForce cards don't overcome
          the sloppy D3D code.

------------------
          Matrox G400MAX
          PIII 616
          Asus P2B-L
          128MB PC100
          Quantum Fireball KX 27.3
          Monster Sound MX200

Comment

i have an evaluation retail version and i am very disapointed with the d3d performance. on my system the game was chopy and jerky.

i think i will go back to playing earth 2150 instead

==========

intel pIII 550/384 megs memory
            abit be6-II motherboard
            18 gig 7200 rpm western digital
            61.4 gig maxtor ata66
            pioneer scsi dvd-rom dvd-303
            matrox g400 max/rainbow runner g-series
            sb live value/3com 905tx
            adaptec 2940u/SIIG internal usb hub
            logitech wingman warrior/ms freestyle pro/usb to psx controler
            ms natural keyboard/ms intellimouse explorer
            17inch primary display/15 inch secondary display
            no floppy drive
            American-Media Q452-ATX Case

Comment

Just in case you guys wanted to know... it's nothing to do with Matrox. A lot of geforce/gf2 owner's are experiencing the same trouble. I can't speak from experience because I haven't got the game yet, but I'm working on it

Comment

Okay, thanks for all the help. This sucks because it is a RARITY that a game comes along and I am really interested in playing (half-life, thief, ss2), I hope a patch comes out soon.

Beezer - the d3d code rocked in UT, but I think that DE uses the original Unreal Engine, where UT is pretty modified.

There have been a few announcements about how to fix performance on GF cards, have any of you tried these suggestions on your G400's, and does it help?

Thanks again.

Comment

I just started playing the Deus Ex demo and found it very choppy too. I've got plenty of muscle to play on highest settings so it's not a problem with my computer.

Things seemed to be okay (still sorta slow) until one of those "Incoming Messages" pops up. The audio is pretty choppy so I'm guessing it's something with the audio that is slowing things down.

I've also noticed that the colors are kinda muddy.

The game installed Dx7.0a which I was resisting. Could it be that? I'll run the Dx diag and see what pops up.

Andy

------------------
                  PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  256MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
                  DirectX 7.0
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer
                  Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                  AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                  DirectX 8.0a
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer
                  Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                  AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Yup, it gets very choppy on a PIII500 when yuo run at 1024x768 in 32bit - helps a little to switch to 800x600, but even then when the floor is reflective it slows down. Bit of a shame considering UT ran perfectly at these settings...

Comment

I've read that Deus Ex runs on the old Unreal code, not Unreal tournament. Supposedly Unreal didn't work too well with D3D either.

Comment

Working...
                      X