Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are getting screen corruption in Half-Life with win2k 5.10 try this:

Add gl_ztrick "1" to opengl.cfg

It´s strange, but with this driver release if that old 3dfx ztrick stuff isn´t set to 1, you´ll get horizontal lines all over the screen in opengl. Previous ICD (5.0x) didn´t do this. Can´t really complain, because with this cleared up, the performance took a quantum leap from 5.0x and I can´t really thing anything I can relate like z-buffer abnomalities.

gl_ztrick 1 is default, but some people (like I do) have a costumized opengl.cfg with gl_ztrick set to 0, because it suposedly cut the z-buffer depth in half or something odd like that. It did wonders for the 3dfx cards in early opengl gaming, but it can give all sort of strange things with other video cards.

As I noticed at least one guy complaining about something similar (In counter-strike, I think), here´s the solution.

I can't find opengl.cfg file!

Comment

If it's not there, make it.
      Put it in your halflife\valve\hw\ folder.

Oddly enough, I have always run mine with gl_ztrick "1" (as I have posted in my opengl.cfg file many, many times here), and I have never had the descibed horizontal lines

...but then again, I don't run win2k...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yes, that´s a win2k 5.10 specific problem. It runs fine with gl_ztrick 0 in win98 and with previous win2k drivers.

The problem is if gl_ztrick is set to 0. I have set it to 0 a long time ago (since I have HL) because of this:
        gl_ztrick "1" // 1 is z buffer half range, but no clears (1 is faster, saves on fill rate but less visually clear. 1 is default).
        I did it because "less visually clear" and G400 don´t mix , so...

Comment

I still get lines! And I have them in win98SE. I had this problem with first 3dfx card.

Comment

Bring down the console (~) and type gl_ztrick
            See what value you got, if it´s not 1 you´ll are misplacing the opengl.dll file.

But I am talking about win2k here. I really don´t know about win98. I don´t remember the last time I booted that piece of crap (Oh wait I tried PD 6.0 when it come out)

Comment

Working...
            X