Overclockers Beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclockers Beware!

Since we all play UT together, I saw this news piece and thought I should pass it along.

Overclocker Creates Rift in Space-Time Continuum

Santa Cruz, CA - A rift in the space-time continuum was created today when overclocker Jamie Aperman ran a 750 MHz Coppermine Pentium III at 1.6 GHz. Overclocking has long been blamed for causing global warming, but this is the first occasion that the fabric of space-time has been damaged.
    MIT Professor George Greznowski said, "It appears that the CPU was operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they arrived. This execution of future instructions created a small tear in the fabric of space-time itself through which part of the motherboard passed into a parallel universe."

No one was injured in the accident, but a computer motherboard was partially damaged. Mr. Aperman better known as SpeedPhreeek said, "I'm pissed. I lost a brand new Alpha Cooler and Coppermine to a parallel universe. I called my insurance company and they don't cover losses to rifts in the space-time continuum."

Intel researchers have long warned of such damage to the space-time continuum, and added clock multiplier locks to their CPUs before they were required by Congress. A bill is now in the US Senate which would require a three day waiting period for purchasers of Alpha Cooling Fans and Peltier cooling devices. The bill would also require clock multiplier locks on all new processors.

Overclocking advocate Horace Spencer said, "This bill before Congress won't prevent overclocking. They'll just create a black market for non-locked processors. Most of the top overclockers already get their goods from Taiwan."

Food for thought. -Kindness

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

I don't get it....

Is this true, or some kind of bull**** story?? parallel universe, steps can be made from my own room???

I don't get it...
    PIII 450@504Mhz, 191MB SDRAM PC100, Win 98 SE, G400 Dual-Head, Gigabyte BX2000 board

Comment

Comment

we had that a few weeks ago ...

Still nice to read though.

Cheers,
        Maggi

PS: just in case ... this article is not serious.
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

just in case ... this article is not serious.
          That's what they would like you to believe.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

No, it's true! My uncles girfriend's friend has a brother that worked for a guy who knew a lady that was doing the nails of a woman whose husband lost his entire CPU by over overclocking! He lived in Texas and he got a call from a guy in Soddy-Daisy Tennessee. This guy was sitting on his back porch and a computer "warped" onto his lawn. I wouldn't believe it either, but I heard it first hand!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Well, then it would be, like, no more CPU's over 1.6GHZ??? Cause it would be like buying an warping device...

My uncles girfriend's friend has a brother that worked for a guy who knew a lady that was doing the nails of a woman
              Nice one...

------------------
              PIII 450@504Mhz, 128MB SDRAM PC100, Win 2K Pro, G400 Dual-Head, Gigabyte BX2000 board
              PIII 450@504Mhz, 191MB SDRAM PC100, Win 98 SE, G400 Dual-Head, Gigabyte BX2000 board

Comment

Uh, no, Snake, that's not quite right. You see, Standard processors at the default bus speeds pose no real problem, as everyone knows that the memory bandwidth is a bottleneck to the processor unless you overclock. It's only 1.6 Ghz+ overclocked processors that cause this particular phenomenon, due to that fact that the processor is able to communicate with the mempory quickly enough to actually sustain the massive throughput needed to accomplish time-displaced computations.

The moral of the story (at least as Intel reps have it)- If You Want A Faster Processor, Buy One Rated For It From Intel, And Avoid The Danger Posed By Such Illegal Activities As Overclocking.

------------------
                Ace
                "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I go ahead in time a day or two and when I come back, everyone's doin it!! Sheesh! But congrats to the single Athlon guy. I have to use dual Cumine 850's and run linux to get any useful temporal displacement! Oh sh*t, gotta go, the temp is climing on my voltage regulator!

Bohrn

P.S. You guys rock

------------------
                  AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.52015, 1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I've been wondering where my dog went...

-Micko

Athlon 1,7MHz

[This message has been edited by Micko (edited 20 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Micko (edited 20 June 2000).]

Comment

Nice story! And a question, Why bother overclock a athlon 550 to 750-800 MHz when you can buy a stock 800 Athlon for the price you've spent on the cooling? Why bother when they're in store just waiting for you...
                      My system:
                      | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
                      homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Because for $238 for parts and an Athlon 500 'm running at 850... add an additional $30 for a black anodized Block HS (large enough to make 5 larger than an Alpha!) and a 120mm 115cfm fan for $15. That's a grand total of $283

Now on todays market that is high... but I did this some 8+ months ago now (and along the way).

Toss in a $20 70watt pelt and I have another 50mHz

Works for me

------------------
                        Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
                        Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
                        CPUmark99 75
                        FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X