G400 Jerk Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Jerk Factor

I am not sure what to call this nuisance, so I'll refer to it as the G400 Jerk Factor. :-)

I have been noticing mainly in D3D racing games that when I am travelling in a single direction, after a certain distance travelled, I would see an extremely slight "jerk" or pause in the background graphics. Not a serious jerk, certainly not enough to ruin a game, but just noticeable enough to be a distraction at times. This Jerk Factor is most evident at LAN parties, when I see other people's games running silky smooth with their GeForces and TNT 2 Ultras and mine looks epileptic in comparison.

I used to have a Celeron 333MHz before I got the P3, and the Jerk Factor was there. Before I got the G400, I had a Millennium II and Pure 3D II combo, and there was absolutely no jerkiness there (it was just slow...). Overclocked or not overclocked, 32-bit z-buffer on or off, etc, the G400 Jerk Factor remains.

A friend of mine also has a G400, and I see the same Jerk Factor on his machine (Celeron 450MHz, but otherwise the same setup as my rig).

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a cure???

-=W=-

------------------
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
    My system specs:
    Intel Pentium III 650MHz
    Asus P2B motherboard
    128MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Matrox G400 32MB SH @ 184.50MHz, running ParaKnowYa's driver pack v1.5
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value with latest drivers
    Quantum Fireball ST 6.4GB & 4.3GB
    CTX PR711 17" Monitor, currently running 1024x768x32 @ 85Hz
    Windows 98 (not SE)
    3DMark2000 default benchmark score: 2991
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

My system specs:
    Intel Pentium III 650MHz @ 806MHz
    Asus P2B motherboard @ 124MHz FSB
    128Mb PC-100 SDRAM
    Asus AGP-V7700 GeForce 2 GTS 64Mb PURE, Detonator 3 installed
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value with LiveWare 3.0
    Quantum Fireball ST 6.4Gb & 4.3Gb
    I/O Magic 8X DVD-ROM (region-free)
    Kenwood 42X TrueX CD-ROM
    Just Cooler FC-900L Central System Cooler
    CTX PR711 17" Monitor, currently running 1024x768 32-bit @ 100Hz (set using HzTool)
    Microsoft Intellimouse with IntelliEye
    Logitech SoundMan X1 speakers and subwoofer
    Windows 98 (not SE), DirectX 7.0a
    3DMark2000 v1.1 default benchmark score: 6284

What games? what resolution?

------------------
    Cheers,

archangle
    Cheers,

archangle

Comment

Need For Speed III, any resolution
      Dirt Track Racing, any resolution
      Need For Speed: Porsche Unleased demo, default resolution

I've also noticed the Jerk Factor appearing in Quake 2 unless I limit the framerate to around 30 or so. The Matrox G400 Techdemo also has these jerks. Strange, but looking on the newsgroups, I don't appear to be alone in experiencing this.

One person on the ng suggested deleting a program called MGABG (or something similar) from the registry key HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. However, I have not found such a program residing there or anywhere else in my system registry.

-=W=-
      My system specs:
      128Mb PC-100 SDRAM
      Kenwood 42X TrueX CD-ROM
      CTX PR711 17" Monitor, currently running 1024x768 32-bit @ 100Hz (set using HzTool)

Comment

'MGABG' is particular to the Windows 2000 drivers only. I think the person who suggested removing it may believe you have the problem of Powerdesk taking too big a chunk of processing time when it's running. To see if this is the case, you can CTRL-ALT-DEL and force powerdesk to close, and then run a game to see if this cures the problem.

Comment

Rik: Is there a way to prevent PowerDesk from loading on startup, or is that a bad idea?

If I CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down all background applications (except Explorer and Systray, of course), the jerkiness disappears. Now I have to work out which app was causing the Jerk Factor!

-=W=-
          My system specs:
          128Mb PC-100 SDRAM
          Kenwood 42X TrueX CD-ROM

Comment

Hi WarFlail
            It's safe to prevent powerdesk from loading at startup.To do that,type msconfig at the 'run' prompt and then uncheck all those programs that you do not want to load at startup.
            Cheers
            Ovi

Comment

Hey when I saw the subject of this thread, I thought you were talking about me.

------------------
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

when i type msconfig i notice that i can make it so that my pc wont read autoexec and config.sys @ start up..isnt that safe enough to do? cause i am not using any dos drivers?

anyone suggestions?

Comment

How about emptying the config and autoexec files instead? I think there might me some %path% variables in autoexec that you might not want to lose.

Jerk Factor... Hehehe
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

WarFlail -
                    I'm glad you found the culprit for your excessive jerking (!!!).

What you can do now is a little trick which someone on these boards discovered which will stop Powerdesk from taking too much processor time. What you do is search through the registry (with regedit) for 'PDEnable', and when you find it change it from '01 00 00 00' to '00 00 00 00'.
                    Even if Powerdesk is disabled it has the nasty habit of re-appearing if you go to display properties. By using this trick it won't give you any hassle when it re-appears.

Blades -
                    With Win98SE I have found that I am able to completely eradicate Config.sys, Autoexec.bat and Command.com from the root directory - Windows auto configures dos for default use. This might work for you, although it depends if you have anything special set up in these files (like special paths, stack sizes, etc).
                    All you can do is keep a copy of these files, delete them from the root directory, try booting without them for a bit and see what happens...

Comment

Is there any program equivalent to msconfig for Win2K?... It was a lot faster than regediting...
                      -Jonathan Beilin
                      Abit BX6R2, P2-400, 256MB SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19"

Comment

Startup Control Panel
                        http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
                        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Well I have exaclty the same problem, jerkyness all around, tried shutting down everything in running in the background, even Powerdesk, still no luck,I added 128MB more ram and it was still there, Hell I even tried a Geforce2, and the Jerkyness got better but it was still there, man this is driving me insane, so what is my next plan? well Upgrading to 1Ghz and if that doesn't work I think I'm gonna buy a Playstation 2 hehe
                          -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

I've heard having a network card may slow down your pc
                            amd k62-350 @400 - tyan trinity 100AT 1590s - 128mb sdram - wd 10gb 5400/u33 - g200 8mb sgram agp - sb16pro isa - Realtek 8029 NIC -

Comment

Working...
                            X