what is your r_gamma and r_intensity values, Quake3, win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your r_gamma and r_intensity values, Quake3, win2k

I installed the new drivers and was hoping that hardware gamma was working. Nope not in these drivers. Its a shame because I bought the G400 for the image quality it brings to games and not to have the highest FPS. But when using software gamma the image quality is pale and washed out. I wish matrox would give an idea if hardware gamma in openGL games for win2000 is ever going to happen. Is it win2000 that is to blame? This is all about remembering the image quality I had when using win98 and want the same for win2000.
    So to the question, my settings are r_gamma 2.1 & r_intensity 1.3
    But I can not seem to get the right settings It always the shadows are too dark or the places with light are too bright. I am just wondering what other people use for their settings?
    A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
    because in that way the child learns to lie.
    Babylonian Talmud

This is annoying me too. Quake III can look amazing when the gamma is tweaked just right, really sharp and colourful.
    I've a feeling this isn't a driver deficiency, as the ICD is exactly the same file as is used by Win98. Also, I've noticed the problem reported on other Win2k forums by users of other video cards.
    I really hope a solution to this surfaces soon!

Comment

Ooh! Ooh!
      I've just been trawling the forums at NTCompatible and stumbled across this (kick me if you know this one already):
      insert 'r_ignorehwgamma 1' into the Autoexec.cfg and then use r_gamma and vid_restart to get the desired effect.

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 13 June 2000).]

Comment

Yes, I do know of r_ignorehwgamma. I use it but the color quality is not the same when you get to use hardware gamma. Are other cards(voodoo, geforce ) really having the same problems?
        A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
        because in that way the child learns to lie.
        Babylonian Talmud

Comment

Ouch....Steel toe-caps! I won't be sitting for a week!

Sorry if I wasn't much help. I was all excited at finding the disable hardware gamma console command 'cos I was previously using Powerstrip for Gamma correction in QIII, and that was really washed out and lacking in contrast.

I've a theory that Windows NT always has a slightly more fuzzy and washed-out appearance compared to Win98. I noticed it with NT4 vs Win95 as well as Win2000 vs Win98. After I've been using Win98 for a time and switch to Win2000 the display looks more 'grainy' and everything looks bigger too.

As I remember, it was mainly TNT/GeForce owners complaining of the Gamma problem - I'm not sure about the Voodoo Situation.

Comment

Working...
          X