Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo II Beta: Anybody testing?

Fellow <font color="#0000FF">MURCers</font>,

I am currently downloading the beta, and hope to install it either tonight (if I manage to get all 100MB of the file) or tomorrow. Since this is a BETA, there are bound to be PROBLEMs. Hence, I would like to know who among my fellow <font color="#0000FF">MURCers</font> is, like me, part of the limited public beta? I would like share my experiences running the game with Matrox vid card (my trusty <u>old</u> G400MAX ) and exchange information with you during the beta test period.

You can reach me at my Hotmail account:
    fuzzy_j@hotmail.com

Thanks.

{To: <font color="#0000FF">Ant</font> &amp; <font color="#0000FF">Kruzin</font>: if this is the wrong forum to post this, please move this to the appropriate forum. Thank you. }

------------------
    JamesA: Just a Dumbass MURCer
    System Details

"Have you had any licorice lately?"

<b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Just when I got my mind off that game (drawned my sorrow in Nox)

You're cruel (and lucky )

Comment

*Patiently site here and waits for the second phase of bete e-mail's*

You wanna take a look at the 'Beta Buzz' forum on battle net, .3k/sec download rate with a T3 connection, extimated time till download 4 days.....LOL
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Death to all the people who got in...

Diablo 2 is my #1 anticipated game
        In case it's a harware problem:
        PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
        Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

I have the regular Matrox G400 32 MB. I was accepted to be the beta tester. I still have to download the darn 100 MB file on a crappy 26400 modem connection and off the congested server! I hope my Matrox card still kicks butt [sigh].
          Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Hey Anydude, I'll dl it for you and then burn it on cd if you want....

Dimitri
            "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
            --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

www.3dfiles.com has a couple of mirrors of the Diablo2 Beta.
              Very usefull for the people who got in (and need to die).
              In case it's a harware problem:
              PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
              Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

heh, i don't wanna die, but i did get in *duck* anyway.. downloaded the beta in 15 min or so (lost track of count, since i was talking to people in the #diabloii channel in irc) gotta love adsl.

my thoughts:

intro was great.. when i click on the barb (only choice *groan* but i knew that.. still... ), he comes out and starts sharping his axe the graphics thought was not as appearing as i had hope. when i move, i notice graphics paging (ex: you can see the wagon move part by part like a wave). maybe it was because i was using a 19", hence it's not as great looking at resolution of 640x480. one interesting note though.. there are 3 video quality you can choose from. low/med/high. i see NO difference between med/high. is it possible that they left the high setting out of the stress beta?

as far as network is concern.. maybe because i am using adsl, but i have no lag whatsoever during play time. navigation is alot easier and you can keep track of where everyone else is on the map. i was in this game where there are like 5-6 people on and i felt like i was playing a solo game off the internet

bugs: there were a couple of times where i my game hanged and i had to use alt-tab to get out (win2k rocks ). and there was an error box on the desktop. i didn't bother to check what the error was.. i just hope it's just the beta that's doing this.. i guess this is why it took them so long to even have the stress beta out.

strangely, even though the test said i am using d3d (it id my card and recommend me to use d3d, nice ), i don't feel like i am using d3d in anyway. i thought the graphics on the diablo is a bit sharper. the main difference is that there is alot more going on in diablo2 (like bats and rats flying/moving all the time. npc and merchants moves around instead of just standing there.) i guess i'll have to investigate this further tonight *grin*.

anyway.. i'll update more when i have the chance

[This message has been edited by glarec (edited 25 May 2000).]
                Glarec
                ------
                bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

glarec,

I am envious. I started downloading from my office before going home last night. Came back this morning and found out that I had only received 2MB of it.

Restarted the download, and now I am at ~38MB. Loooong way to go. Sigh. I miss the cablemodem of my college days....

Oh well. We will compare notes once I have installed the beast, ja?

------------------
                  System Details

Comment

I havent had a chance to play the stress test yet, but I was an original beta tester and it crashed hard (cold boot required) on me after playing for about 15-30 min...

Comment

Muad'Dib: Thanks anyways. I already got the file after the mirrors came up. Now, I need to find time. I am in the middle of a crunch time from work.
                      Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

JamesA: *comfort* they just send me another email with more alternate sites.. you might wanna try them when you get it.

btw. you have guys look at the battle.net forum? tnt's and voodoo's are having big time problem with the beta :P

well.. time to stress test some more.. laterz

Glarec
                        ------
                        bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

MWHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!! AH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! WEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Ok, in case you didn't figure out I'm in. Yes I know I'm spazing out a little more than I should, but after the last two days that I've had you would too if you found such a damn cool email in your box.
                          As far as downloading, I love having access to a T1.

Anyway, look for me under the name DakkonBlackblad on the east coast server. Once I finish my comp sci project I plan no spending a lot of time playing.
                          I'm planning on password locking my games for a while, I'll set the pass to MURC if any of my fellow MURCer's care to join.

Later guys, gotta go work so that I can play later.

Ian
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

So can anyone tell what is the main difference (in visual quality) between the 2d mode and the D3D mode in Diablo II?
                            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

impact,

After reading the documentation (yes, I read the whole thing before starting the game), there isn't much of a difference between 2D and 3D mode. The main difference is in 3D objects/textures will be &quot;perspective corrected&quot;. E.g. when my character was walking around, the trees in the landscape changes size (just by a little) depending on your distance.

I must say, I was initially non-plused (is that a word?) by the graphics. Most of the things/characters are quite aliased/jaggy in the actual game. The character class selection screen was awesome and had me going for a while (I was thinking, &quot;will the in-game graphics be as great looking?&quot . I mean, the barbarian ROARed at me after I selected him, and began sharpening his axe. That was cute.

Anyway, some of the monsters are harder to distinguish. In the Blood Raven quest, the Undead Rogues look like the Death Knights from Diablo 1's Hell level. But, of course, I was busy hacking them I did not really notice how they <em>really</em> looked like. Maybe I will do some screen capture and look at them. Yeah, that's it.

I did not play long last night (after installing <u>and</u> reading the readme), as I kept getting disconnected from the server (BetaUSEast) after about 10-15 minutes hacking away. Managed to complete 1 of the 2 quests, and attained level 4 with my character.

I did not find HedsSpaz at the server after his post. Perhaps we can join up tonight. My account/character is Gluon_Magus (yeah, yeah, sounds stupid).

Alright. That's it for now.

------------------
                              System Details

Comment

Working...
                              X