Quake 3 and error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 and error code

Hi everyone, i have purchased quake 3 so that i may partake in the Q3F mod, however, i cant even do that. Whatever and whenever i try to connect to a multiplayer game, i get the following error code and i have no idea what it means, or what i have to do to get past it.
    the error code is: client_unknown_to_auth
    I connect to the internet through ip_masquerading on a win2k server. I have added the quake3 executable as a program that can make outgoing requests, but it didnt help

if Anyone can help me on this, id appreciate some sort of solution

Thanks,
    Frankfurt

------------------
    Here is my crappy system config:
    K6-3 450, 256MB SDRAM,Tyan Trinity ATX (S1598 2mb cache on board), Matrox G400 Max
    Windows 98SE/Mandrake Linux 7.0/win2k/beos 5.0 (free version)
    SB 128 PCI
    AOpen Lan aln-325c

[This message has been edited by Frankfurt (edited 11 June 2000).]
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Are you running that latest version of Q3f (beta 1d I think..) and of Q3 itself (point release 1.17) the latest pointrelease changes the communication protocol, so that could explain what you are getting.

It could also be something to do with pure servers... any hacks etc you are running will annoy them, as might IP masquerading (tho I don't see how)

Comment

im running Q3F beta 1D and the p. release 1.17. It ticks me off, at least it works in win2k no problems...if that means anything to anyone. I dont have any hacks, but i do, like i said have ip masquerading going...

any other suggestions

oh yes, in case it matters, im on PD 5.30

Frankfurt
      Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
      WinXP Professional SP1
      3COM 905C

Comment

I've found a similar problem trying to play Q3 through a software firewall (ZoneAlarm).
        The server was requesting something back on "UDP 0" while "connecting". If the packet was blocked then I couldn't get past the connect stage.

These days I still see the client_unknown_to_auth message, but only briefly now that I've configured my firewall correctly.

I don't know about IP masquerading, but I'd suggest looking at your logs to see if this packet from the server is getting through. It's possible Q3 sends the IP of the machine it thinks it's running on, and this doesn't match the IP masqueraded.

I'm not an expert on masquerading (or what the UDP 0 packet is for), so I hope this gives you a few ideas.

Ian.

Comment

those are great ideas...but...i cant figure out where win2k puts those pieces of information . you may be right though, wouldnt put it past a game like quake 3 (hell the only reason i bought it was for the mods, none of the original crap it had included

Frankfurt

WinXP Professional SP1
          3COM 905C

Comment

Working...
          X