I want to play something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to play something...

School is out for a while, work is slow and I want to play a game again. I am looking at either UT or Q3. Which, at this point, with current drivers and such, has the fewest problems and or is quickest to get running porperly?

This lull will not be for much longer, so I need to jump on this.

I get some me time...

Jeff

------------------
    ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 @ 533 - 196MB PC100 - MX300 - 3Com 509c -Kingston 10/100 KNE110tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro
    -We stop learning when We die, and some
    people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
    Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
    - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
    - Remember 3 is the magic number....

I'd get UT. I have both and have played Q3 maybe a dozen times. Of course, I play more TFC than anything.

It seems to be a fairly religious choice with very strong views both ways.

As far as which is easier to get running, I can't answer that as both ran right out of the box for me.
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

TFC?

Sorry been out of the game market for some time.

Jeff

------------------
      ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 @ 533 - 196MB PC100 - MX300 - 3Com 509c -Kingston 10/100 KNE110tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

I'm with ahartman here. UT looks great, but I get bored with it rather quickly, and only play it occasionally with the MU clan....that's usually fun. But I always seem to end up playing TFC (Team Fortress Classic, the free (!) Half-Life add-on). Looks a little dated now, but the on-line gameplay is the best. I check out other games (Battlezone II, Messiah, etc.) for a bit, get bored, and back to TFC. Talk about getting my money's worth!

John

P.S. Ahartman, what servers do you like for TFC?

Comment

I'm with these guys.
          For on-line play, HalfLife/TFC dominates my play time. If you don't have HalfLife yet, that would be my suggestion (even though it's dated graphics-wise compared to Q3 and UT). TFC (a mod for HL) is included free in one of the halflife patches.

If it's between Q3 and UT, I'd decide based on the internet connection you have, as both games run very well on G400. If you have a modem, go with Q3. If you have cable or DSL, go with UT.....
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll at TFC (on line is what I am looking for).

I should have posted my specs...

They are below.

------------------

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

Well, well, I would have to almost agree with everyone as I think counterStrike is much better than TFC. Don't get me wrong though, TFC is one awesome game. Don't forget about UT though, it is a pretty fun game.

BTW-You can buy HalfLife and get both TFC and CounterStrike as a free add on. Have Fun!

Dave

------------------
              I can never think of a good signature...~

Join the MURC SETI team @
              http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/c..._form&id=25678

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks for all the info... Going to get TFC tonight.

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

Good thing you have DSL. You'll be updating TFC in about a week (nice, big, fat, 20MB patch it will be, and that's from 1.0.1.6 to 1.1.0.0).

Personally, I prefer HL's single-player game, the OppFor expansion, and DeathMatch online play. I can't stand the concept of classes.
                  The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                  The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                  The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

If you're looking for on-line only, find the cheapest Half-Life you can find (avoid the Adreneline Pack as it has HL, OPFor, CS, and TFC. You can save $30 by just buying HL and downloading TFC & CS mods. They automatically patch your system and with DSL, you won't be downloading all night.

If you want the single-player, get the Adren. Pack as Half Life is the best shooter I've ever played. Be sure to play it with the lights off...
                    PIII 550@605
                    IWill Motherboard VD133
                    VIA Chipset
                    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                    DirectX 8.0a
                    SB Live! Value
                    8x DVD (Toshiba)
                    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                    3Com CMX Cable Modem
                    Optiquest V95 19"
                    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                    Microtek flatbed scanner
                    Intellimouse Explorer
                    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Cool, I had to put it off until today anyway. Well off to get HL. Thanks everyone...

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

I played HL and TFC on line this weekend and had a blast...

Now it seems I really suck at it, but I still had a good time. Scores like 12 / 54 Boy, I rock!!!! Well at least I stayed positive...

Thanks everyone!

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

We're glad you liked it. The fastest way to learn to be better is a) play defense as eng or HWguy and keep an eye on what the great players on the other team are doing, or b) play as a medic and tag along (but stay out of the way!) with the good players on your team. It's always fun for me to go back to a TFC map I haven't played in awhile and see how I approach it now as compared to before. Wow! Even an old man can learn! Plus the overall play, tactics, etc. on each map continues to evolve. Best $30 I've ever spent on ANY game.

John

Comment

I think Counter-Strike is better then TFC. The spammers in TFC get on my nerves. Also, most CS maps come with the mod already. With TFC, there are many different maps, and I don't have the time to download them all. Oh well, I guess it depends on your preferences. CS moves at a slower pace, all the guns are real-life weapons and there are no grenade launchers

Well, I used to play TF1 (Quake!). When I got a new map, I would run around in the map in single-player to learn the map, so I wouldn't be totally lost when i play online. I guess you could do that in TFC too if you don't know the map well. Also, remember to lead the targets (you know that right?). But you don't have to lead them too much since you have DSL. Another strategy I used to use as a Demolitions Man was to throw pipebombs at people and detonate them in mid-air. I'm not sure if you can still do that in TFC.

(edit) One more thing, try Half-Life's single-player if you haven't yet. It's great and some of the user-created levels are very good.

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 06 June 2000).]

Comment

Q3 or UT? This is all I have to say:
                              Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X