W2k Opengl refresh rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k Opengl refresh rate

Anybody knows how to set the refresh rate for opengl games in W2k? My monitor is capable of 85 Hz in 1024x768, but in opengl games (Quake2) I get only 60 Hz. For DirextX I have used dxdiag to override the default (75 Hz), but can I do the same thing for opengl?

Ben

Just get Mark V's Win2k resolution manager and overwrite all sub-85Hz refresh rates with the same settings it displays for 85Hz.

Comment

If you don't fancy that, then give Powerstrip a go. You can set an association for a game for it's resolution, colour depth and refresh rate.

Comment

I tried to use the resolution manager and overwrite 1024x768@60 Hz with 1024x768@85 Hz, however nothing happens. I still get the same 60 Hz refresh both in quake 2 and on the desktop.

Maybe my registry is a bit screwed up after I have installed v5.06 drivers over v5.03 and v5.04? I have several listings for G400 in my registry under device0 and device1.

Best regards,

Ben

Comment

Try this...

open regedit and look up this key:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Modes\1600,1200(or whatever it says)

Edit the Mode1 string from:
          30.0-86.0,50.0-160.0,+,+

to:
          30.0-86.0,85.0-160.0,+,+

this will set the minimum horizontal freq to 85Hz.

Hope this helps.
          <font size=1>Primary System: ASUS P4B533-E, Intel Pentium4 1.6A GHz, 512MB Samsung PC2700, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB, SB Audigy, 2xSeagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Pioneer DVD 106S, NEC CD-R 40/10/40, InWin Q500 Case w/ Enermax 353W PSU, Windows XP Pro, Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX.

Secondary System: ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB PC133, Asus GF2 GTS 32MB, Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB, Aopen HQ08 Case, Windows XP Pro.</font>

Comment

ops...
            make that 75 in your case
            <font size=1>Primary System: ASUS P4B533-E, Intel Pentium4 1.6A GHz, 512MB Samsung PC2700, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB, SB Audigy, 2xSeagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Pioneer DVD 106S, NEC CD-R 40/10/40, InWin Q500 Case w/ Enermax 353W PSU, Windows XP Pro, Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX.

Secondary System: ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB PC133, Asus GF2 GTS 32MB, Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB, Aopen HQ08 Case, Windows XP Pro.</font>

Comment

Edguy,

Thanks for the suggestions, but that did not help either. In the meantime I have tried a uninstall/reinstall of the v5.06 drivers and tried again to use Resolution Manager, but still nothing happens.

Any other suggestions????

Best regards,

Bent

Comment

Even though i have changed 1024x768@60 Hz to 1024x768@85 Hz with Resolution Manager (and it still shows this after reboot), i still get 1024x768@60 Hz as a valid mode when i look under "List all modes" in Display properties.

Ben

Comment

I'm getting this problem too. The funny thing is it didn't appear at first, but after I used the resolution manager Quake III started defaulting to 60hz, no matter what I tried.
                  Like I say, the only solution I found was to use powerstrip (although even getting that to co-operate was a major hassle).

I for one can't wait for a decent Win2k driver release.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something simple, but how do I get dxdiag to override the refresh rate? I tried the option there and set it from default to 75Hz but it doesn't seem to do anything for my half-life (running in dx @ 1024 still in 60Hz. Same for OGL)

Comment

That's odd. It sure works for me!

Although I have changed all sub-85Hz modes to the same settings as the original 85 Hz entry just to make sure.

Did you copy all the misc settings from the original 85 Hz entry as well? Enable the advanced settings too. You can simply have two copies of the resolution manager open and use one to display the original 85 Hz entry so you can copy it easily over the others.

Setting the DX refresh rate with DXDiag also works for me.

By the way, for Quake3, such an enforced setting is unnecessary. Simply put

seta r_displayRefresh "85"

into your baseq3\autoexec.cfg file.

Comment

Excellent fds! That works a treat!
                        Now, if there was only an easy way past the gamma problem...or is this just a shortfall of the current driver?

Comment

could sb. please give me the link for the win resolution manager from mark v. I have lost it. I remember having seeing it just a few days ago here, but can`t find it anymore.

Thanks

valentin_nils@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X