Problems in Half-Life: screwed up graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems in Half-Life: screwed up graphics

When I run Half-Life in D3D, it crashes within 20 minutes. Well actually I don't care, cuz D3D sucks. But I want to get OpenGL working. OpenGL mode does work, but some textures and paintings are not visible. In Counter-Strike for example, I can't see the bombing point crosses and spray paintings. The textures are not very sharp as well. Can you help me?

System:
    Abit Be6 rev. 1 mobo
    Pentium Celeron 466
    256 mb Toshiba RAM
    Matrox G400 (not o/ced, singlehead)

[This message has been edited by Eek! (edited 29 May 2000).]
    "If anything can go wrong, it will."
    - Murphy

I had similar problems with the older version of the G400 drivers. If you want to get everything to show up right, use the latest drivers, 5.53 I think. They work like a charm. JUST MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL THE CURRENT DRIVERS LIKE THE WEB SITE SAYS! Or your going to cause urself endless headaches.

-Mad_Goose
    -Mad_Goose

Abit BE6
    P3-450 OC'd to 504
    AcerLan ALN-201 E-net card (PCI)
    128MB PC-100 RAM
    Diamond Monster MX300
    Matrox G400MAX
    Win98SE
    DirectX 7.0a

Comment

Ok, I've installed the latest drivers I could find (5.52) and Half-Life is now stable in D3D, although the frame rate seems not very acceptable. So how can I see my framerate? In D3D spray paintings etc. do work now. And in D3D the letters are very vague.
      In OpenGL I can see the spray paintings now, but with stripes all over them. Something strange I found: I can't make any screenshots in OpenGL. When I open the .bmp file created by Half-Life, the whole picture is black.
      - Murphy

Comment

Using r_netgraph 1 with HL 1.0.1.5 or higher shows fps. To fix the spray paint problems, try gl_polyoffset 2 in the console. If the screenshots come out black, it's because you're using TurboGL. Screenshots come out fine with the ICD. Check if there is an OpenGL32.dll file in your HL dir.

Comment

Did you use TurboGL? If not - try it. I don't play HL, but in most Ogl gales TurboGL improve visuals. If you run on win9x of course.

Comment

Ok I changed the gl_polyoffset to 2 and it helped. Now the spraypaints and craters etc. are clear without strange lines over them. Fps is about 50 in 1024 x 768. Is this normal?
            Then there's still the screenshot problem. Screenshots are still black. Yes, there is an opengl32.dll file in my Half-Life directory. Yes, I'm using TurboGL, how can I uninstall it? Maybe it's a stupid question, but what does ICD stand for?
            So far, thanks for the help! :-)

[This message has been edited by Eek! (edited 04 June 2000).]
            - Murphy

Comment

ICD= Installable Client (that's you, the client) Driver.

And if I remember correctly, TurboGL has an uninstaller included... it has an installer, anyway... check in Display Properties==>Advanced, or in your Start Menu==>Programs folder.

-------------------------
              Holly

Comment

50fps? I don't know. I run 800x600 because 1024x768 is too slow for multiplayer (fps sometimes drops to 12!).
                If you want to take screenshots, you can remove TurboGL and use the ICD. You can just rename the OpenGL32.dll to something like turbogl.dll. Then HL should just use the ICD (An ICD is a GL driver that can run all GL apps, not just games). IMO, TurboGL is slightly faster and looks better than the ICD.

Comment

I uninstalled TurboGL and yes, like you said, it helped: I can make screenshots now. Thank you guys. Kumbaya!
                  - Murphy

Comment

Working...
                  X