Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS-PU triple buffering?

Hello everyone
    I recently installed NFS-Porsche Unleashed Demo. When I ran the 3D setup, the card was detected correctly,but the Triple Buffering option was grayed out. I believe that triple buffering improves performance,so how do I enable it? I have the Millenium G200 (8 MB) with 5.41 PD drivers,on Win98.
    Thanks
    Ovi

It's probably because you don't have enough memory on the card to enable triple-buffering. I suppose you can try turning the resolution and color-depth down and see if that frees up enough to help.

Comment

From the FAQs and their Archives, and even for the G200 8 Mb this should work...

Need for Speed 4 registry hacks

Just read through to below the NFS 4 reg hacks. If you want me to put them in the FAQs on their own, please say so

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks a lot Jorden!I'll try out these reg hacks.
        Cheers
        Ovi

Comment

Hi Jorden
          I changed the values of D3Device and Triple Buffer to 1 in the registry and rebooted the computer, but when I ran NFS-PU’s 3D setup, it still had the triple buffering option grayed out. Now that’s strange,coz editing these values is perfectly logical,so I wonder why it isn’t working. Any other suggestions?
          Thanks
          Ovi

Comment

Yes, if you changed triblebuffer from registry from 0 to 1, then it works.

-Micko

Comment

Micko is right, even if the 3D Setup doesn't say so, changing the triplebuffer in the registry from 0 to 1 does enable triplebuffer in the game.

I haven't found a way to enable the thing through the 3D setup yet, sorry

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okaaaaay,now I understand! Thanks Jorden and Micko!
                Cheers
                Ovi

Comment

Hey, i was played(try at least) nfs-pu demo several times, and allways(!!!) my comp freezes in random positions soon after race begins. I was try on win98se and win2k - same result. I even disable cpu/bus overclocking on motherboard, but nothing changes. All other games seems preaty stable on my system. Is anyone have similar problems with demo? And if yes, how about release?

Comment

Can you give a bit more info about your system and setup, dYh? What drivers have you loaded? BIOS versions of your Gx00 and motherboard?

The release version doesn't give me much problems on my P3-450 with 256Mb RAM.

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ok, A-Trend6220(bx) / pII-333(416) / SBLive!(oem) / 128mb(no_ecc) / G400max (bios 1.5-22, drivers win2k503)
                      Most intresting is that i'm do not have any serious problems with other games, only with that demo :/
                      Although brightness problem in q3a, some z-bufer artifacts in UT, ugliness in tribes still take place. Most likely it is drivers issue.
                      But crashes, or in my case freezes, is simply disagreeable. Too sad(for me) is seems that only i have this kind of problems

Comment

I don't think the demo is win2k enabled. If you're running Win2k OS.

As far as I know only the full game is Win2k compliant, and then the Win2k for the normal users (Millennium, not Professional)

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yes i know, officially win2k not supported by NFS-PE nor demo, nor release, BUT my situation is same on Win98se(on same machime of course). For win98 I used last drivers too, don't remember exactly number.

Comment

"As far as I know only the full game is Win2k compliant, and then the Win2k for the normal users (Millennium, not Professional)"
                            what do you mean with that?

Windows ME is based on the win9x kernel but they left out all the legacy dos support and so on... it won't be out until a couple of months.

WIndows 2K is available in many different flavours, but the only one that is interesting to users on this forum probably is Win2k professional. And NFS: PU runs just fine on my system, running in win2k.

Maybe you should not overclock anything, and make sure everything has it's own IRQ. Then try to reïnstall win2k or win9x. It should just work fine with the 5.03 drivers and up...

Comment

dZeus, you run demo or retail? I mean i only try demo, and it very unstable on my system(not os) and as i said ALL apps i used is stable enough on my overclocked system. I was try demo without any overclock and even "safe" bios settings - same result. I wonder is release more stable than demo or not. But if no one has similar problems with DEMO, nothing to say about RELEASE too...
                              Thanx everyone for replays.

Comment

Working...
                              X