Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HL - Leaving server takes FOREVER (Menus slow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL - Leaving server takes FOREVER (Menus slow)

Don't know if this is video related or not, but you guys know a lot about making HL run well.

Aside from this problem, HL runs like a dream...

After playing on a server for a while, if I escape out to the menu and disconnect from the server, it takes forever for control of the menu to return.

I've read a couple other forums and have hears two suggestions:

1) rename CUSTOM.HPK (I guess this is where downloaded logos and stuff is stored and can grow very large)

2) edit registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings - in the right hand pane, double click to change CPUMHZ to a value of 1

I'm leery of #2 as the people who recommended this says it works for Voodoo cards.

Can anyone help me out here? System specs are below (5.41, no TGL).

EDIT: And there are no IRQ conflicts, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    ------------------
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    256MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
    DirectX 7.0
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

[This message has been edited by ahartman (edited 31 May 2000).]
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer

I would suggest not using the menus to quit the game. Just pull down the console (~ key), and type "quit" then hit enter to exit the game.

I do whatever I can to avoid using the menus in the game. I use ping tool to start my games, and the console for everything else. I have not seen a menu in this game for months, and it has not given me a single problem in months. I think this has something to do with the game switching from OpenGL on game mode to Direct3D in menu mode (or perhaps an OGL resolution switch that happens between game mode and menu mode). At any rate, I always avoid using the menus, and I don't have any probs with the game...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I'm too lazy to learn all the console commands...

For what it's worth, all my menu probs went away when I renamed the CUSTOM.HPK file. Also, I join a server MUCH more quickly.

I haven't seen any ill effects of renaming the file, so I'll call it a qualified success!

Thanks for the response though, Kruzin.

One question: How do you pick the server to join? You said a ping tool - like Gamespy? I don't like GS. With a cable modem, it takes me about 30 seconds to update all the servers, so I don't mind using the menus.
      PIII 550@605
      IWill Motherboard VD133
      VIA Chipset
      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
      G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
      DirectX 8.0a
      SB Live! Value
      8x DVD (Toshiba)
      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
      3Com CMX Cable Modem
      Optiquest V95 19"
      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
      Microtek flatbed scanner
      Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Pingtool is a game finder, similar to gamespy, but I like it WAY more than GS. It's far more configurable, works on all the shooters, and is totally FREEware.

You can find it at www.pingtool.com
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I was thinking what the hell is wrong with my computer, server map changes took ages, after reading this, found out that my custom.hpk file was 16MB!!!! Removing it solved my problems
          PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Working...
          X