I need serious help if I'm going to get to the LAN party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need serious help if I'm going to get to the LAN party

Ok, I can't get Friggin' Q3 to run on my new Athlon system.

I just did a clean install last night of Win98SE. Here is the system

Athlon 700 (no overclock, yet)
    Abit KA7 (RJ bios)
    256mb Mushkin PC133 Athlon Tested
    Maxtor Diamond Max 40 plus 20gb HD
    Matrox G400 SH video (5.52 Drivers)
    Aureal SQ2500 sound (latest Drivers)
    Ovislink Realtek 10/100 NIC (latest Drivers)
    E-Tech 56kbps winmodem (latest drivers)
    Razer Boomslang 1000 mouse (2001 drivers)

I installed in the following order...

win98SE
    VIA 4-in-1 from the Abit CD
    Video Card Drivers
    DirectX 7a
    NIC & Drivers
    Sound Card & Drivers
    Modem and Drivers
    Mouse and Drivers.

I installed the Q3 demo from my PC Gamer CD.

When I click on the shortcut to start the game, I get to the Id splash screen. Then the screen goes blank and it stops hitting the HD. It just stays there at a black screen.

What have I done wrong or What do I need to do to fix this??

Please help

amish

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

maybe it would help to mix the pci cards in the system again ?

Comment

Can anybody give me any more ideas??

amish

Comment

Try reinstalling ONLY the VIA AGP patch. (I am an Athlon user, but not VIA).

Also, a longshot: the Boomslang and its drivers have been known to cause people problems.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Try reinstalling DX7.0a and video drivers in different order. DX first, then video drivers.

.Tumu

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
          64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
          Win98 finnish

Comment

I had the same problem and I just fixed it instaling the 5.41 drivers, the latest via 4 in 1 drivers and the agp gart driver

Comment

this problem is the same on athlon / asus k7v / g400 5.52. i think this is an issue on matrox drivers. 5.41 should work, but i havemt tested it on this machine, cause it is for my cousin, he doesnt know what q3 is !

how damn fast this athlon is. 11500 cpumark in 3dmark99 pro, with "only" 650 mhz. 6500 3dmark with a g400 vanilla. wow. this thingie rulez.

but i want my celeron 566 !

Comment

How's 15181 and 8000 in 3DMark99 Max sound then? I've been doing this for 7-8 months now with my Athlon 500@850, MSI 6167, and of course a G400 Max
                In Win98 I have almost 0 problems with any D3D/OGL game or app. This combo simply works great!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I completely removed the 5.52 drivers and reinstalled the 5.41 drivers. It didn't help.

What is the AGP Gart driver?? and where do you get it? Is it not included in the 4 - in -1??

amish

Comment

You can get it here http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm

BTW, I change my g400max for a Gforce ddr today, I pay it with my max plus U$S150 (ddr here, in argentina costs u$s 470!!!)

Comment

Working...
                    X