NFS Porsche: Crappy Framerates!! :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS Porsche: Crappy Framerates!! :-(

Maybe it's the car you're driving that's slow, not the game itself.

I know this is flame-bait for the Porsche lovers out there, but I couldn't help myself. Please... flame on! (haha - don't start a flame war on account of this ludicrous post.)

Bill
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

NFS Porsche: Crappy Framerates!! :-(

NFS Porsche runs like crap on my system:

Celeron 300A @ 400
    128MB
    G400 MAX

Tracks like "Schwarzwald" (I've the german version) are really a pain in the ass, even with _ALL_ settings set to minimum!! Can anybody help or advise? If not, I'll throw this ****ing CD out of the Window (even when I've paid about 50,- bucks for it!).

Please help!!! thx

[edit]
    I'm using the 5.52 drivers...
    [/edit]

[This message has been edited by syntech (edited 08 May 2000).]
    - Syntech -

Comment

I'm running Win2k with the 5.06 drivers, so we may not have the same problems...
      I found that 800x600 ran really crappy, even with all of the detail at minimum. Things sped up a lot when I switched to 1024x768, and I could turn up some detail. Go figure.

DS

------------------
      Windows2000 Pro, Cel 366@550 (monster FDP32...love it!) on Asus P2b (1011), 128MB PC133, OEM G400/16 (PD5.06), Fujitsu 5.25gb, Maxtor 4.3gb (oooh, check out the all those nifty round cables...), Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer DVD 303S DVD-ROM, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Sycom 300va UPS, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project
      Games Box
      --------------
      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
      ------
      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
      -------------
      Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Hi Syntech,
        There is definetly something wrong, and I am thinking it is the bottleneck of the CPU...although you O/Ced your CPU to 400Mhz...it is still a bottleneck for your wonderful video card...I think I read somewhere that the G400Max needs something above 500Mhz...(correct me if I am wrong)...but from what you are telling me...even at minimal details...it still runs like crap...then it should be the CPU...I hope this helps...maybe you should consider a newer CPU?...

Try using PD5.30 as many ppl runs better with it...

I must say...Porsche Unleashed in very pretty and very realistic...you'll love it very much...so don't throw it away

Sorry...hope this helps
        San

P!!!550E @ 733Mhz
        ASUS P3V4X 1004.01
        128Mb PC100 C2 Ram
        Matrox G400 Max PD5.30
        Sblive!
        Win98se
        Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
        ASUS P4T-EA
        Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
        ATI 8500 Retail
        SB Audigy Plat. ex+
        WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Hi Syntech,
          There is definetly something wrong, and I am thinking it is the bottleneck of the CPU...although you O/Ced your CPU to 400Mhz...it is still a bottleneck for your wonderful video card...I think I read somewhere that the G400Max needs something above 500Mhz...(correct me if I am wrong)...but from what you are telling me...even at minimal details...it still runs like crap...then it should be the CPU...I hope this helps...maybe you should consider a newer CPU?...

Try using PD5.30 as many ppl runs better with it...

I must say...Porsche Unleashed in very pretty and very realistic...you'll love it very much...so don't throw it away

Sorry...hope this helps
          San

P!!!550E @ 733Mhz
          ASUS P3V4X 1004.01
          128Mb PC100 C2 Ram
          Matrox G400 Max PD5.30
          Sblive!
          Win98se
          Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
          ASUS P4T-EA
          Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
          ATI 8500 Retail
          SB Audigy Plat. ex+
          WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Ok, first I'll try running it at 1024/768 (hey, that sounds pretty weird to me ;-), and if that doesn't help, I'll try it with the older 5.30 drivers. I can only hope that those drivers won't affect my other games!?

Until that, thanx for your suggestions. I'll come back to you to tell you the results.
            - Syntech -

Comment

I'm running the game @ 1024x768x32 with all visual features on and it runs good. I'm using the 5.53.017 drivers (this is NOT an official driver, mail me for info!!!). System is a 650MHz K7 with 256MB Ram but actually the game should work better on your system @ a lower res + some features turned off!

best regards
              PKY www.paraknowya.de

Comment

hy..
                first i must say that my english is very sh** !
                the track schwarzwald is running good on my mashine !
                ok
                i play NFSP in 1600*1200 ,all details and 32 bit ! all tracks are runing super .... but one track (NORMANY----> German Version) is running very crappy !!!! when i play the track in 640*480 its crappy again !
                i have tested all drivers ! and everytime the same problem !
                SYSTEM:
                366@550 celeron
                160MB RAM
                ABIT BX6 rev.2
                G400 MAX

Comment

Hi ppl,
                  I usually run the game in 1280x1024...and it's great...but I find it performs even better at 1024x768. Instead of 640x480 try 1024x768 since G400s likes high res....hope this helps
                  Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                  ASUS P4T-EA
                  Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                  ATI 8500 Retail
                  SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                  WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Damn, I need to get me a copy of this game. I LOVE PORSCHES!!! heehee

Dimitri
                    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Even in the english version, I had some hard slowdowns in the game- my machine

Athlon 650
                      256mb PC100
                      Matrox G400MAX
                      SBLive Xgamer

On some tracks, the game runs smooth as butter, but trackes like the ones mentioned don't run nearly as smooth. For you people with Celerons, I'm afraid that even when overclocked you aren't going to get great framerates because Celeron is simply not meant for gaming. Its like people that take a Honda Civic and rice it out with the exhaust, intake, all that stuff. Get a Celeron II, they will kick ass.

Comment

Hi Velocity,
                        What res do you run the game at? coz I have the same problem as you, but when I changed the res to 1024x768 it's all good...hope this helps
                        Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                        ASUS P4T-EA
                        Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                        ATI 8500 Retail
                        SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                        WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

65z56, you said that Porsche runs great with 1600x1200x32bit and everything on. With a 550MHz Celeron and a G400 max.

I don't know from which planet are you but IT DOES NOT RUN SMOOTHLY AT 1600x1200! Smooth is NOT subjective since 60 FPS you see in the arcades is smooth. 30 FPS is nowhere near fluid and lifelike movement. Fact that is.

I play the crappy game with 1024x768 and with 16 bit color depth and it's still a pain in the arse. 250 kph feels like riding a 60 cc vespa over a highway. Very realistic and very lifelike. Not to mention smooth. Some tracks roll quite nicely but others DO NOT.

I'm using 700MHz P3 and a G400 max (Tried all the latest drivers).

Comment

from what the various game reviews have been saying about this game, NFS:PU is a very CPU instesive game. It relies more on a faster CPU then it does on a good video card. Does anyone know of a FPS counter in the game? I would like to compair my P3-450@558/G400Max combo vs my dads p3-500/TNT2 Ultra to see how much of a differnce there is between the the two,since it seems to run a hair better on his machine. On a side note Firing Squad ran into a problem with the game with The Gefarce drivers that where out on Nivida's web site. They had to use the "leaked" 5.19 drivers if I remember right.

Scott
                            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Alf: did you try the 5.53.017 drivers?! Let me know via mail please as I won't be here so often in future! Thanks! =)

Comment

Working...
                              X