Driver ponderings....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver ponderings....?

Well I haven't been around MURC in a while, but just recently I have been having some "crash" trouble with my Millenium G400 in OpenGL....

Well it may not be isolated with OpenGL, but thats what I am guessing because Quake3 crashes a lot, and Half-Life runs stable with D3D (albiet slower than OGL) but crashes in OGL periodically. I am running the 5.40 drivers with TGL 1.00. I know there are later versions but I dont know if I should update...

What is the new stuff with 5.52 and the "hacked" 5.53 versions, they sound good, but I don't know about their stability. Oh and I will also update to TGL 1.3 as soon as I decide on which of the 5.5xs to update to.

So if someone could fill me in on this stuff, I would really appreciate it, thanx!

------------------
    Jason "TheCorp" Joseph
    Jason "TheCorp" Joseph

5.52 - Best performance and stability so far.
    5.53 - Slighty better performance and similar stability, but use at your own risk.

I don't use TGL, so no comments

Comment

I will say this yet again.

5.53 ARE NOT MATROX DRIVERS!!!!

They are custom drivers designed for the Gigabyte GA-MG400. You would be well advised to stay away from them. Admitedly there should't be any system breaking differences in the drivers, but you never know. And more importantly, these drivers are NOT supported by Matrox. If something does go wrong then you're on your own.

Play it safe and stick with 5.52.
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

YES, they are not official Matrox' drivers but I tested the 5.53 pack I released and noticed no problems till now! I did get info from some people who encountered problems but only when utilizing the TurboGL drivers with the 5.53 driver! So they are at least save in some way! One this which is true is that you will not get support from Matrox if you say you're using the drivers from PKY but @ this point you've got to choose, latest stuff or official Matrox stuff?!

Besides the driverpack does not only consist of a certain driver build but of many other helpful stuff so you get more than with the official drivers. If you don't get the driverpack because of the drivers themselves then maybe because of the goodies!

Another nice thing is that the driverpack is smaller in size but this might not be a problem for the guys'n gals with the fat pipes! Hmmmmm... it's your decision!

regards
        PKY

Comment

Working...
        X