Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT doesn't seem to be caching correctly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT doesn't seem to be caching correctly.

I formatted my HD recently and put UT back on, but it crunches the hard drive constantly(ie; slide show). It's like it's not caching properly. Before I continue, just remember that it worked fine before I re-formatted.

I've made a permanent swap file(2.5 times my RAM), I changed nothing in BIOS, I had to reinstall my AGP drivers(v1.60e), and my Busmaster drivers(v3.40), I've made sure that my DMA box is checked, I changed my computer role to network server, DirectX7.0a(which worked fine before), latest BIOS(1007a), Latest Matrox Drivers(5.52, which is what I had before). I did notice that my G400 is sharing IRQ 11 w/ 2 other devices, but UT is the only game I have problems with. I play Half-Life no problem. That's all I can think of for now. Hmmm...I just thought of one other thing, I remember someone mentioning the latest patch of UT as being problemetic, maybe I'll downgrade. Here are my system specs:

nothing overclocked

Asus P5A w/ AMD K6-2 500
    192MB PC100
    G400 Vanilla
    SBLive(not sharing IRQ w/ G400)
    13.7GB Quantum Fireball UDMA/66 running @ 33

Let me know if you need to know anything else. Oh yeah, I am using UT D3D NOT OpenGL.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Two things, the latest AGP drivers for the ALi chipset are version 1.65, and the latest IDE drivers are version 3.55. If you can't get them off of ALi's site then I have them mirrored on my web site. http://w3.one.net/~dlee/ian/mp3
    They are called agp165e.wav and v355.wav cause my ISP won't let me make zip and exe files available for download from my web site. Just do a right click "save as" and after they've downloaded rename them with a .exe extension.

Good luck
    Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thanks dude. I'll give em a go and see what happens. I might have been running like 1.63 or something, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I installed the new divers but no change in UT. This is driving me insane as I know this works on my computer. I guess I'm gonna have to keep trying. The funny thing is, if I go around the whole level before the game starts, the harddrive crunches away until I've seen every bit of the map and it appears to be cached at that point, but the only problem with that is the bots are forever moving so when they come on screen the game comes to a halt and I usually die a quick painless death because I can't fight back.
        On related news, AGP2X comes up with no registry hacks, tweaks, etc...

What version of UT is everyone running?

Dave

Comment

Well, I'm using UT v413, but I've also got a G200, which definately makes a difference. It's on of the few cards so far as I have read that actually gets a perfomance boost from 413.
          Anyway, have you increased the cache size for UT? Hit ~, and type "preferences" and hit enter. If I remember correctly(I'm not at home right now)it's under engine or game settings or something like that. It's one of the options towards the top of the list. One of the options somewhere should be cachesize. the default value is 4(mb). The recomended settings are 4,8,16,32, or half of your RAM.I have mine set to half RAM and everything runs relatively smoothly, no horrendous load times or anything.

Ian
          Primary System:
          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
          Seccondary System:
          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
          Tertiary system
          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

HI Dave,

I run UT 4.13 and found out that if you use 'precaching' it will eat all of your available RAM, then starts swapping and then let's you enter the game ...

I suggest to increase the game engine cache in adv. props. to 64 MB and disable precaching.

Cheers,
            Maggi
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks guys for the new info. I'll check it out when I get hom later tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

Comment

I was have a problem similar to yours and decided to let windows manage my swap file. This took care of my problems.

Comment

Dred,

Thanks but I already tried that.

Dave

Comment

Helevitia, you can´t use the d3d dll that comes in 4.13, cause it´s problematic. Gotta use the 405b dll.
                    Try it.

------------------
                    Remember folks:
                    "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
                    Pablo Picasso

Comment

Any chance one of you could email that 405b dll?

Thxs
                      James
                      Games Box
                      --------------
                      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                      ------
                      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                      -------------
                      Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Hi Darksyd,

don't you have the 405 patch lying around anymore ?

You could extract it with winzip for example and copy that dll manually by yourself.

I don't have it here at work ...

Cheers,
                        Maggi
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Same situation and suggestion here.

P.S. U can find that dll in a Unreal Tournament site, but I can´t remember now. Someone?

Comment

To darksyd

it's on his way, check your mail.

Enjoy
                            Athlon64 4800+
                            Asus A8N deluxe
                            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                            X-Fi Fatality
                            HP w2207

Comment

Working...