Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm confused- Did Matrox ever deliver that OpenGL thingy for the G200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm confused- Did Matrox ever deliver that OpenGL thingy for the G200?

After another disappointing experience (update 5.41 to 5.52 makes Unreal Tournament unplayable) I remembered something.
    About a year ago everyone kept asking about the OpenGL ICD that Matrox promised 'would be out any day now'.
    I can't remember they have ever done so.
    Fortunately for Matrox the issue seems to have vanished due to the fact that most people in the meantime already bought a newer card (like the G400) and had newer problems to deal with. The 5.52 drivers claim to have OpenGL support, but am I right in supposing that is in fact only the case with G400 boards?

Nope. The drivers now include a full ICD for both chips. Dunno how far back you'd need to go to find the first release including them because they've been out since I first installed my G400Max, nearly a year ago.

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

well lester,

The first thing you should probably know is that UT is only in BETA for OpenGL and you should be using D3D. This is straight from them. Other than that, I have had no real problems with the ICD. and yes, I've used the OpenGL ICD on my G200 many times.

Dave

------------------
      I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Since the start of the PD5.x series there was a full ICD for the G200 ...
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Oh I see. Then why won't the 5.52 drivers work with UT?

Comment

Because UT does a bad job of supporting OpenGL on any platform. Their GL code is very poor.
            Stick to Direct3D.

-Wombat
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat,

Didn't I already answer his question? I guess he wants to choose what he'd like to believe and hear. Oh well, another one of the masses.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Um, yeah...

I've seen that the G400 drivers don't make a bit of difference to UT. It's that damm D3D dll that Epic keeps updating.

Check over at unreal.epicgames.com You'll find many to choose from. I personally get the best results from the beta 0.6 dll, but I'm also on a G400...

Just my $0.02
                The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I noticed that there have been several reports of people who are only getting mostly black screens when trying to use latest Matrox driver in D3D mode. That was the reason I decided to give OpenGl a try again and found out it wouldn't work either. Since OpenGL wouldn't work in other applications that I've tried (such as Quake III, Homeworld) I assumed there was still no OpenGL support. I understand now that it is there, but I was just wrong in expecting it to work all the time for everybody

Oh and Dave, that was really a good effort to cut everyone short, showing just the right amount of arrogance to qualify for promotion. May I suggest that you now move over to the next level and start defending Microsoft? There are a lot more ignorant people over there that could really do with your belittlement.

Comment

Lester,

I was just telling it like I read it and I read that you chose to not read what I had said otherwise you would have either provided more info, or responded to my post. Instead you decide to be sarcastic. Now you end with finally giving us more info that OGL doesn't work with other games for you as well, so now I'm inlcined to believe you just have a ****ed up computer.

Dave

Comment

The black screens problem disappears if you disable multitexturing, by going to the console, typing preferences and setting multitexture to false.

Comment

One more question: why does updating the driver cause this effect? Was the old driver better in this respect or does updating have the effect of changing the settings in UT? I can't check myself because I've installed another (non-matrox) video card right now, but i'm still curious.

Comment

Working...
                        X