Creative DVD player
    20.4 GB Western Digital Ultra DMA 66 Hard Disk
    ABIT BE6 (BX) ATX+U/DMA 66 motherboard
    Matrox G400 32 MB sgram
    Windows 2000
    235 Watt power supply
    Sampo 17 inch monitor
    (and dualhead hooked up to my TV)

I've got the newest drivers for the matrox , and new drivers for the motherboard (win2k needed them or else it wouldn't install, but I dont know whether or not I've got the latest AGP drivers for my motherboard (I'm a bit of a putz when it comes to hardware =))

When I play games (halflife (both openGL and d3d) and UT (d3d only) ) I've got very low framerates, ranging from 40 fps (max that I get, when I look straight into a wall orso) and 10 fps (the min, when there's a lot of action going on onscreen). On average it's about 15 fps. I run these games in 1024x786, but even in a lower res the framerates are still very low. Even when I turn all the graphics options off in UT I still get low framerates. Any one know what else i can try?

And on a sidenote, I can't exit halflife when playing (exit to menu or alt-tab) because then when I go back into the game, the screen just goes black =(. I then have to exit the game and go all the way back into halflife's main menu before I can join game again? Ayone got any ideas on that problem??

Thanks in advance...

I don't know if I can help you, but I'll give it my best shot:

I notice you are using windows 2000...I strongly or I should say, ppl strongly suggest NOT to use win2k when playing games, coz it's not for gaming...why don't you try dual boot or better yet reinstall win98...and test it again, it should be faster...also you should get the MGA tweak or G400tweak or whatever it's called, it's a program that allows you to tweak your video card, try disabling Vsync, it should give you a significant boost, double fps in UT even!...I get around 146fps looking at a black wall!! 1024x768 maxed out settings (xcept detail textures)...and one last thing is the CPU...till now I have noticed it's the biggest bottleneck for any games...I heard the minimum bottleneck is like a 500mhz...correct me if I am wrong...
    I hope this helped...
    Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
    ASUS P4T-EA
    Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
    ATI 8500 Retail
    SB Audigy Plat. ex+
    WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Hmm well I'm not going back to Win 98, win2k is way better, and back when I used win 98, I still had crappy framerates (about 5 - 10 fps more). But I'll try the tweaking proggie, see if it helps...

Comment

When you use dualhead, the amount of available RAM is halved. In high resolution triple buffering 32bits, this is deadly to your performances...
        Try disabling DualHead and rerun...

------------------
        Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

Working...
        X