Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q3A: v1.17 FPS With and Without Boost DLLs = 18 FPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3A: v1.17 FPS With and Without Boost DLLs = 18 FPS?

I did FPS tests with the demo001 default demo:
    Without the boost DLLs, I got about 18.7 FPS.
    With the boost DLLs, I got about 18.5-18.7 FPS.

Shouldn't I be getting a higher FPS with the special DLL's? Is my computer processor the bottleneck? I am using the lastest TurboGL drivers, Matrox G400 drivers, disabled DualHead, and running Q3A at 1280x1024 16-bits color depth. The game is playable to me and doesn't really feel like 18 FPS to me.

I have everything cranked up because I love pretty colors cool special effects. Q3A is not super smooth like Half-Life and Quake 2, but it is playable so I don't have any problems. No FPS increase with these special DLL's bother me. Yes, I have the DLL files in Q3A's baseq3 directory.

My system configuration:
    Award Modular BIOS (v4.51PG; Updated: 10/26/1999), Intel Pentium II 300 Mhz (DFI P2XBL motherboard revision A -- 440BX 100 Mhz bus tower, 128 MB of SDRAM (PC100), ATX Full Tower Case, 300W power supply, 2 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 Shared PCI/ISA Slot, 2 USB ports, 512K L2 cache, IBM P72 17" monitor (6556), Matrox Millenium G400 32 MB DualHead, Creative Labs 3D Blaster (PCI, Voodoo 2, 3Dfx, 12 MB, using 3Dfx's lastest reference drivers), Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Platinum (not using LiveDrive), Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212 6X/32X ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM drive, Plextor PleXWriter 4/2/20 CD-R/CD-RW PX-W4220T (SCSI), Diamond Fireport 40 PCI (SCSI-3), external USR 33600 Sportster Faxmodem (Model: 0413; Product Code: 000839-03), 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball EIDE (6.4EX-A) hard drive, 3.1 GB Western Digital Caviar EIDE hard drive, a 2-buttons Logitech mouse, 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100 Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX), Microsoft Windows 98 (disabled Active Desktop), RedHat Linux v5.1, two regular computer fans (CPU and normal) and 1 custom fan for 3Dfx card, and a HP DeskJet 560c printer. Running DirectX 7a and Yamaha Sondius XG SoftSynthesizer v1.0 for better MIDI in Windows 98.

I look forward to receiving replies on this.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 08 May 2000).]
    Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Switch from Trilinear filtering to Bilinear, you shouldn't notice much difference in quality at that resolution, but will notice a nice bump in speed.

Rags

Comment

Woohoo! That bilinear suggestion worked! I went to 23.1 FPS without the special DLL's. However, I get 23.7 FPS with the DLL's. Umm, shouldn't I gain more?

Comment

On a P2-300 at 1280x1024 with all detail cranked? Hell no. I'm amazed your getting more than 15 fps to be honest.
        A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Genom: I guess that's good to get a decent FPS .

Comment

Hi Antdude,
            I have to agree with Genom, thats really amazing that you can get above 15fps at 1280x1024 with your specs...I strongly suggest you playing at either 1024x768 or even back down to 800x600 with your specs...as the CPU is the real bottleneck...you'll be getting ~30fps with those resolutions and your gameplay will increase significantly too!! I know Q3 looks really good at high res and maxed out details...but don't you find it annoying to move ~15fps? The best setup is if you can have the best settings together with the best speed...you'll love the game even more...

ok...back to what you were talking about...I recently backed down my PD from 5.52 to PD5.30 so I can use TGL together with the new .dlls...and you know what?...I don't see any difference at all...I think it's either the same or it's even slower...but either way...I left the .dlls there till I have more time to play with it...I am getting around 46.6fps at 640x480 and around 26fps at 1024x768...don't ask me why I have such low scores...I don't know...if anyone can help me also...that would be great!!..thanks

Specs:
            P!!!550E SECC2 @ 733Mhz
            ASUS P3V4X
            G400Max
            Sblive
            Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
            ASUS P4T-EA
            Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
            ATI 8500 Retail
            SB Audigy Plat. ex+
            WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

S.M.: I am getting 23 FPS now and it is playable. Now, the problem is my 26400 modem connection [sigh]. No, I cannot get cable modem or DSL service in my area .

Comment

Working...
              X