Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh!!! /me breaks HL CD over knee (could use some help here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh!!! /me breaks HL CD over knee (could use some help here)

HL stopped working in BOTH D3D and OGL! I uninstalled HL completely(including their POS Sierra Utilities) and all my mods for it. Edited my registry so nothing was left in it. I *even* did a Norton Utilities Wipeinfo and Defrag.
    Then I installed HL again, using the update util to upgrade to 1.0.1.6. From there, I downloaded and installed Counter-Strike Beta 6.1(full).

The only way I can get any gaming at all with HL is in software mode(640x480 in 16 bit color). ARGH!!
    Unless I can get HL working in OGL(hell, at this point, I'll settle for D3D), I am going to huck this disc at the first Sierra employee I see...
    So, please, save me some jail time and help me fix HL! =P
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, before anyone asks, I have my aperture set to 64 megs(any other setting has no effect.) AGP 2x has always been, and always will be in use. I am using 5.52 drivers(older drivers don't help) and have the default bios. My IRQ's are fine.
    Q3 works like a charm. I can run Q3 all day without errors. I can run my Alpha version of Weapons Factory Arena(for Q3) till I am sick of it. Why can't I run HL? Q2 never gave me these probs...
    Sorry for ranting...

------------------
    Tyan Thunder 100 BX, Celeron 300A@450, 128 ram, G400 MAX, SB Live, 3COM NIC, Hauppauge WinTV(dbx)w/remote, Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD, 100 mb ZIP.
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Try the TurboGL drivers for HALF-LIFE. They work best for me even after hours I do not get a single problem with those!

BTW the Aperture size does only matter with the TurboGL drivers and NOT with the ICD concerning problems! With the TurboGL you might need (but not in Half-Life or QuakeII or similar) to set the aperture size to 256MB! For me this is required for Quake3 but because I run Q3 with the ICD there'S no need to do it.

BTW I've got some new driverpack ready. I do not think it will solve this problem because it's an ICD problem but might give you extra performance in D3D!
    www.paranowya.de

best regards
    PKY

Comment

Thx. But I have tried both ICD and TurboGL. I placed the Opengl32.dll(turbogl driver) in the driver folder within HL. Then I modified the text file in it and added this line to it, "Opengl32.dll Matrox TurboGL Driver".
      Now I can select 3DFX mini driver, Default(ICD), and TurboGL. None work. Also, I tried using the TurboGL driver on all games previously, and messed around with the aperture setting.
      It worked with 64 megs just as it did with 256 settings.
      I am starting to wonder if it is caused by installing CS Beta 6.1... Used to work perfectly back in Beta 5 days....

Anyways, they will be updating CS and HL soon. Hopefully that will definitely fix my probs.
      But I want to fix them now. Not wait for them to get off their butts.
      Epox 8RDA+
      512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
      ATI 8500 64mb
      Hercules Fortissimo II
      Tekram DC-315U
      Pioneer DVD 303S
      Pioneer DVR-106
      Zip100 Internal
      Logitech MX 500 Mouse
      LG Flatron 795FT+

Comment

HL caused an invalid page fault in
        module KERNEL32.DLL at 018f:bff7b9a6.
        Registers:
        EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=bff7b9a6 EFLGS=00000246
        EBX=006d6de0 SS=0197 ESP=07f6fb6c EBP=0858ffd8
        ECX=0858fa50 DS=0197 ESI=0858fa50 FS=0ca7
        EDX=0b879508 ES=0197 EDI=0858f610 GS=0000
        Bytes at CS:EIP:
        ff 76 04 e8 13 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24
        Stack dump:
        006d6de0 691a9967 0858fa50 691a893a 00000000 006d6de0 690176e9 00000000 0b879508 690166d5 69014c03 0b879508 69014bce 006d6de0 0b879508 69014f13

Could anyone help me with what this means? I was using the 5.30 drivers, latest BIOS, and Matrox's Overclocking Util. Thx.
        Epox 8RDA+
        512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
        ATI 8500 64mb
        Hercules Fortissimo II
        Tekram DC-315U
        Pioneer DVD 303S
        Pioneer DVR-106
        Zip100 Internal
        Logitech MX 500 Mouse
        LG Flatron 795FT+

Comment

That's a memory error, possibly caused by overclocking too far.

Try clocking down some, and see if it goes away...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Grail,

well I do not think it's the new CS 6.1 because nothing slowed down here! Are you using the latest drivers i.e. 5.53.017 (from www.paraknowya.de) or 5.52.015 from Matrox? Did you do the uninstall thingy when switching drivers? Any other thing which might have slowed down the OpenGL performance? Is it just HL?

regards
            PKY www.paraknowya.de

Comment

PKY- It's one thing to pimp your hacked drivers here (which you have been doing in every thread you can lately...are you that desparate for hits?).
              But PLEASE don't promote them as "the latest drivers". You are giving the impression that these are official Matrox drivers, when in fact, they are not even meant for Matrox's cards, but for GigaByte's. If people want to try your hacked drivers, that's up to them...but at least make it clear what they are getting, and that they will be completely unsupported by Matrox...
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Think I had a problem like this with HL
                HL update utility may not be the way to go.
                Try patching by zip, also what I did on latest built system was get all HL patches seperately and install in chronological order. Just had a feeling it should be done that way, instead of one big patch. Some stuff seems sensitive to such things. Pain inda butt but worth it.

Comment

Here's something to try:

- reclock to stock 300Mhz (Yeah I know, I know, I know. Just try it for now)
                  - Using the Matrox uninstaller, blow away the existing drivers. Follow the uninstall instructions to verify that they're completely gone before you reboot (usually they arE).
                  - Reinstall w/ 5.30 (and tell it to install the TurboGL.
                  - CANCEL the automatic TGL install routine when Winblows reboots.
                  - Back up the 1.3 TGL from the HL directory.
                  - Manually install the TGL file into the HL directory using the TurboGL manager.
                  - Read through the previous posts Kruzin has made regarding OpenGL settings for HL. He's got a good post in here with the settings for your autoexec.cfg file (this file's mod-specific - has to go in the mod's directory).

My G400 MAX has never given me problems after working out a config file for it. Once it's exec'ed once, the config.cfg for the mod should retain the settings.

If all that works, try uninstalling the 5.30 drivers and moving up to 5.52. Don't forget to back up the TGL from the HL directory. As far as I can tell, the TGL is a SINGLE file, and I've successfully used TGL 1.3 w/ PD 5.30, and TGL from 5.30 with the 5.52 drivers. You can change the name from openGL32.dll, as long as you put the appropriate name to the appropriate description in the drvmap.txt file for HL. I can choose from TGL 1.3, the TGL from 5.30, and the ICD while in HL.

Good luck.
                  The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                  The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                  The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Thx for the info guys.
                    Paraknowya: I read about your drivers in another thread. Thanks, but I would prefer to stick with official Matrox Drivers(no matter how much they piss me off at times).
                    Kruzin: Thank you for telling me what that meant. I'll be toying around with my Matrox OC'ing Util.
                    FactOX: Thx for the tip. I'll try that this time around(reformatting. Too much of my stuff is slow/not working).
                    Icestorm: I don't want to go that far(unless my BIOS allows me to specify 66 mhz). I taped my Slot 1 Celly over 1 year ago. I used some hobby tape that I had laying around. It has worked like a charm for over a year now(nearly 1.5 years now). I really don't want to spend all the time I did(about 3 hours, considering all the trial and error. Had fun modifying the voltage settings without an ABIT mobo...) re-taping it. I have performed multiple reformats, driver updates before. My FSB settings have not affected it previously. Thank you for your suggestions tho. I might try some of them out.

------------------
                    Tyan Thunder 100 BX, Celeron 300A@450, 128 ram, G400 MAX, SB Live, 3COM NIC, Hauppauge WinTV(dbx)w/remote, Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD, 100 mb ZIP.
                    Epox 8RDA+
                    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                    ATI 8500 64mb
                    Hercules Fortissimo II
                    Tekram DC-315U
                    Pioneer DVD 303S
                    Pioneer DVR-106
                    Zip100 Internal
                    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                    LG Flatron 795FT+

Comment

Back. Kruzin, your config would probably help me ingame if damned HL would work. The most I see is the loading screen of Counter-Strike. I get to log onto a server, but just before I am placed in game, HL just dies on me. Usually, there are no error messages. Just, "Poof!"
                      Half the time, my desktop is messed up(doesn't matter if Active desktop is on or not) or my res is messed up. A few times, both are messed up.
                      Occasionally, I get a message telling me that HL suffered from cl_parsepacket or something like that. It usually tells me that it received splitpackets or something along those lines.
                      I sometimes see a message about XXXX bytes.
                      My main problem now is that drivers 5.41 and onwards, HL doesn't even work anymore. Doesn't matter if I use TGL, ICD, D3d(software mode works, but let's not go there); nada. I have even disabled Matrox OC Util(downclocked it back to 100%).
                      I would stay with 5.30 if Q3 would work properly(can't alpha test WFA mod)... ARGH!

------------------
                      Epox 8RDA+
                      512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                      ATI 8500 64mb
                      Hercules Fortissimo II
                      Tekram DC-315U
                      Pioneer DVD 303S
                      Pioneer DVR-106
                      Zip100 Internal
                      Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                      LG Flatron 795FT+

Comment

Is it JUST CS that has a problem, or does nothing work in HL - single player included?

You can create a file with Kruzin's modifications in it prior to getting into HL. Add his tweaks into the autoexec.cfg file in the CS directory. If there is no file, create it. The tweaks will be run on start of the engine.

Unless there's something strange about the TGL for non-SSE platforms, TGL 1.3 should work fine with PD 5.30, so you should still be able to play Q3A with the 5.30 drivers installed (TGL won't install with 5.30, but it will work with it- go figure).
                        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

TGL 1.3 will work with 5.30? Hmmmm... I am just about to reformat(as soon as my test with creating a bootable ZIP disk goes successfully.. I'll try that combo.
                          Oh yeah, to answer your question, HL itself doesn't work with my rig... I tried FireArms mod, Counter-Strike, and just HL itself. Nada.
                          I can run a server with 5.30, but Multiplayer is still iffy... Thanks for that last tidbit.

/me off to release some stress(windows/sierra related stress).
                          /me loads up shot gun. "Let's rock"(sorry, couldn't resist )
                          Epox 8RDA+
                          512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                          ATI 8500 64mb
                          Hercules Fortissimo II
                          Tekram DC-315U
                          Pioneer DVD 303S
                          Pioneer DVR-106
                          Zip100 Internal
                          Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                          LG Flatron 795FT+

Comment

Kruzin: I did mention that they're GigaByte's drivers in another post and I wanted to keep stuff short so I did not add all the info to every post. Sorry!

I do not hunt hits or anything or did you see any counter or equal on my site? I'm just proposing ppls what works best for me!

The GigaByte drivers are based on the 5.53.017 which comes from Matrox even if they're only used by GigaByte. They do not kill standard G400s and because they work well here I'm sure they can be used for standard G400s!

Because the version number differs, and because the drivers have a higher version hnumber they are newer! So newer drivers. Besides, I mentioned this on my site and it's mentioned in the driverpack itself that the drivers comes from GigaByte so anyone afraid or not interested installing them may or may not install them or even download them!

I'm very sorry for all the posts where I mentioned the driverpack, I just wanted to help! There is no better way to offer a solution than a forum or NG because who would check my site for the new drivers if they did not know there are new drivers there?!

best regards
                            PKY

Comment

Working...
                            X