Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Me again, some questions. (Overclocking related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me again, some questions. (Overclocking related)

Please don’t laugh at me or anything like that, I’m very new to overclocking.
    My setup is as follows.
    Asus P3B-F Mobo with 1 ISA slot 6 PCI slots and ofcourse 1 AGP slot.
    I have a crappy 16-bit ESS Sound Card in the ISA slot and nothing in the 6 PCI slots
    32MB G400 MAX
    P-3 500
    64MB PC-100 RAM
    Aswell as a lot of other crap which I’m pretty sure has nothing to do with overclocking.

My FSB was at 100, I read somewhere you could reasonably safely up that to 112, so I did, and I booted up the computer, not changing ANYTHING else, I didn’t have any extra cooling and it booted up perfectly, nothing was abnormal, I checked my Intel Frequency ID and it said it was running at 560Mhz, which I thought was cool in itself. At this point I got a room fan, not the most elegant cooling system but I think it would work (one of my questions is, would it work??) and I pointed it diagonally into the case, hoping it would blow air in then air would leave through the diagonal created, I had both sides of my Mid-Tower off., now I didn’t expect much of a performance boost, so I opened up UT(405B), running it at 1024*768*32 with Medium/Medium I ended up with much higher FPS, an average of 56 on Diamond Sword which I used to get about 29 on, now I’m guessing that these were distorted figures, either way the game did run a lot smoother, when I opened up Dreary I had an average of something in the 70s so I knew they were distorted figures, but again it looked like it was performing much much better, this has to be too good to be true, am I hurting anything by upping the FSB this high, do I need to change something so that the AGP slot isn’t running so fast or anything, could I hurt the G400? And if so does anyone know how to change the settings for the AGP slot, it’s a jumperfree BIOS, which makes things very easy, but I still need some help.

Andrew
    PIII 500Mhz, ASUS P3B-F mobo, G400 MAX, old ESS ISA Soundcard, 64MB Ram, Acer 15" Osborne 15", 8.4G, 1.57G, 48x AOpen CD

Another one for the General Hardware forum...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X