State of Win2K SMP & Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Win2K SMP & Games?

I tried the 5.04 drivers on my G400 Max SMP machine. The D3D drivers seem to work fine, if a little dark. I played UT for a while and it seems quite smooth. I then tried Quake 3 (after renaming the Win98 TurboGL DLL) and it locked up when trying to start the first skirmish I tried. What is the current state of the Win2k/SMP GL drivers? Is OpenGL still a no go? Are other people still having these same problems?

Thanks...

------------------
    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
    MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
    FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
    Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
    6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
    Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K

you cant use the win98 ICD in win2k
    but besides that opengl works fine for me in Q3 and SMP.

------------------
    ---------------------------
    bp6-(2)366@533 celerons, g400 DH 32mb Vanilla, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...

bp6-(2)366@533 celerons, g400 DH 32mb Vanilla, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...

Comment

Grimace,

i don't even try anymore...i created a boot menu option for a single processor boot. all the games i'm running(q3,hl,ut and sof) run fine with minor issues. sof let's me keep the dual head on, though it will only play on my primary monitor. as soon as i exit the game, my other monitor comes back on normally.

i removed win98 and am only running win2k and haven't regretted it yet. i think as soon as msft releases sp1(..june?) and matrox gets their stuff together(..next driver release?) the gaming will smooth out.

chucky

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100(CAS3), 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Samsung 17" Flat Panel Display(.264mm pitch) model 770TFT.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

Comment

chucky cheese: actually, i had to do the dual boot(single/dual boot) too until 5.04 came out.. the new driver is alot more smp friendly. i played alot of games/demos afterward and none of them crash on me. the only problem i have is the dvdmax tv-out and i think matrox is looking into that now. but since i only watch movies with my tv-out accasionally. can't wait until they get all these setting out.. but then again.. by the time they get all the stuffs square away.. i am properly finish switching back to single processor system again. i am looking into upgrading to either athlon or cumine. either chip is pretty good.. the only setback i have atm is the chipset for either cpu. neither one of them is mature enough to where you can just put the stuffs together, install the OS. and let the system rip. i really feel sorry for novices out there they are just starting to learn to build their own system.

anyway.. back to work
        Glarec
        ------
        bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Many (most?) games RUN. Some run WELL. A few run FLAWLESSLY. Very few actually just crash now, 5.04 drivers have removed the SMP errors, although you still can't play Q3 in r_smp=1 mode... yet.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

i haven't tried the new drivers yet because they are listed on matroxs' site as for the g400, not the MAX...should i try them? or wait till they are for the MAX.

chucky

Comment

chucky cheese: let's put it this way, once you get a taste of 5.04.. there's no going back.. unless of course tv-out dvdmax is very important to you i am having trouble with it where there's 1 frame out of every 100 or so frames that gets turn upside down.. giving it a blinking effect.. other than that.. very smooth sailing in 2d and 3d
              Glarec
              ------
              bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Im having that DVDMAX problem too, but no WAY am I switching back, SMP probrlems are fixed, I cannot go back, no no no!!!

I use CLone at the moment, instead of DVDmax, even if quality isnt as good.

Gurm, I dont know about you or others, but Q3 in r_smp=1 mode works just fine for me!

------------------

Comment

Mr_Spicez:

If you can use both processors in Q3, you are VERY VERY VERY lucky. Most of us experience horrible graphical corruption.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

So from the sounds of it, most people can play Q3A with Win2k/SMP. Anything special you have to do? Any registry settings or anything? I admittedly have not persued this very much since I'd had the problem with previous releases and I wasn't sure the 5.04 release was any different. The first skirmish I tried locked up before the level started (but after all the icons displayed).

Comment

I figured it out. I installed a new dual channel scsi controller that needed two interrupts and it kindly chose the one the G400 was on. Once I got it off that interrupt, everything got much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X